[GPSCC-chat] Apple Protest

Brian snug.bug at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 25 07:05:02 PDT 2014

I wasn't soliciting support.  I was reporting the facts.

SEIU did the Democrats an enormous favor to the Democrats by taking the blame for the third consecutive
torpedoing of the California DISCLOSE Act so the Democrats didn't have to sabotage it themselves as they
did in the previous two incarnations of the bill.

How exactly SEIU had the power to foreclose the issue has never been to my knowledge explained.  Do we
have any actual evidence that SEIU opposition was the controlling factor, or is this simply a cover story?
The DISCLOSE Act was popular among SEIU rank and file, and local leaders, and I suspect that any order
from SEIU leadership about opposition to the bill would have been very costly internally.

Perhaps SEIU's legal counsel advised them that he/she could not advocate that they support any legislation
that would limit their power to engage in anonymous political ad campaigns.  Of course he or she couldn't.
His or her duty is to the narrow interests of the client (and to her own interests in serving those narrow
interests unswervingly), not to the greater public good.  The obligation of SEIU leadership is to recognize
that the opinion of their highly-paid and highly-self-interested legal technician should be regarded as merely
advisory.

Perhaps SEIU got some deal from the Democrats for this favor, or from the CA Chamber of Commerce.  Maybe
payoffs to individuals were involved.  Maybe the story that SEIU torpedoed the bill is a myth offered by
Democrats who lacked the courage to overtly oppose the bill this time.

I can only speculate.  Politics is complicated.   If a stressed-out friend lets me down now and then, that  may
alter the friendship but it doesn't have to destroy it.

Brian