[GPSCC-chat] Apple Protest

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Wed Sep 24 22:39:56 PDT 2014

       Are you aware that that SEIU sabotaged SB 52, the California
Disclose Act, which would have required political ads to prominently
identify the primary funders (e.g., David Koch vs. Citizens for
Improving Democracy)? According to salon.com, in opposing SB 52 the SEIU
stated, “There is no reason to make any additional changes".  "Other
unions followed SEIU’s lead. In an example of the need for transparency,
it’s hard to find formal opposition to the DISCLOSE Act on labor
websites. However, Salon has obtained opposition letters from CTA, the
California School Employees Association and the state Labor Federation,
a coalition of over 1,200 AFL-CIO and Change to Win union affiliates.
CTA even argued SB 52 would violate the Constitution’s free speech
clause, a nod to the Citizens United ruling, even though the Supreme
Court in that case affirmed disclosure as a viable method to police
campaign spending."
(www.salon.com/2014/08/27/principles_be_damned_how_campaign_finance_reform_just_got_crushed_in_a_liberal_state)

       Can someone explain to me why we should support an organization
that opposes democracy by supporting the right of unions and big money
to engage in deceitful political advertizing?

       We need a strong, intelligent labor movement.  However, I for one
will not support any individual or organization like SEIU that seem
committed to deceit.

       Organized labor in the US has been losing ground for 40 years.
I'd like an honest discussion of why people think that has happened and
what can be done to reverse that trend.  These same 40 years have seen
increased consolidation of ownership of the commercial media with the
virtual elimination of investigative journalism from the nation's
airways, where most people get their news and world view.  Any media
organization that sells advertising sells behavior change in their
audience to advertisers.  Increased consolidation in ownership means
reduced competition for audience -- and increased leverage for
advertisers in shaping the editorial content.  Labor does not play in
that arena.  (This helps explain Brian's observation that the SEIU Apple
protest got zero coverage in the media.)

       Also, do labor unions contribute to all credible candidates or
only those (usually Democrats) who support their political agenda?  Big
money contributes to all credible candidates, and they win no matter
which candidate wins.  If labor doesn't do that, they lose when their
candidates lose.

       I'd like to see organized labor refocus their current political
campaign budget to investigative journalism and not spend a penny on
political campaigns.  They could increase the impact of their
investigative journalism by sponsoring debates between leading figures
on issues of the day organized by their own investigative journalists
and disseminated over their own YouTube and similar channels.  Unions
could then encourage their own members to support candidates and issues
-- sometimes with different union member supporting different candidates
in the same race.  This could then give them "access" no matter who
wins.  If they did this, I believe they would change the political
environment in the US today so much it would more than offset what they
would lose by stopping their purchases of deceitful advertising.

       However, I have not researched this enough to be confident of
everything said above.  I would appreciate further comments on this.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer

On 9/24/2014 5:06 PM, Brian wrote:
> There was a SEIU protest outside Apple's flagship store in Palo Alto last week that went completely blacked out
> by the media.
>
> http://www.paloaltoonline.com/square/2014/09/22/street-level---the-unreported-news--seiu-shuts-down-university-avenue#comment_form
>
> Of course it would have been nice if SEIU could have provided some photos and/or videos to go with the story of
> the blackout.
>
> SEIU wants to organize the janitors and the security guards at Apple.  Currently those functions are served by
> non-union employees of outside contractors--and working conditions are poor.
>

> From: rainbeaufriend at riseup.net
> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 06:09:26 -0700
> To: wrolley at charter.net; sosfbay-discuss at cagreens.org
> Subject: Re: [GPSCC-chat] Apple Protest
>
> Yep that was us, and I got the audio from KGO and intend to pay it when I get the chance. My blog post was republished (slightly edited) at http://www.popularresistance.org/apple-could-lead-if-it-had-an-iconscience/
>

> Greenvolution is NOW!
>

> Drew
>
> On September 9, 2014 10:15:42 AM PDT, Wes Rolley <wrolley at charter.net> wrote:
>

>      Listened to morning news on KTVU (Channel 2) today and their story
>      re: Apple Announcement included a segment on a "planned protest"
>      organized by the De Anza Greens and joined by ......
>

>      Not sure who got the word out, but good work.
>

>      KGO story had no such reference.
>
>      --
>
>        "Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you
>        don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth"
>        - Roberto Clemente

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.