[GPSCC-chat] creating campaign plans?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at effectivedefense.org
Fri Sep 26 11:41:20 PDT 2014

Hello, All:

	  We began a planning exercise last night following the 388-page
"Campaign Toolkit" freely downloadable from the IFEX, the International
Freedom of Expression Exchange (www.ifex.org/campaign_toolkit).

	  Could someone suggest a way to make the notes from this discussion
available some place where many people can edit and leave comments?  If
we do this right, the resulting documentation will become too unwieldy
for an email, least of all for sosfbay-discuss with its limit on email
length.

	  The IFEX Campaign Toolkit describes a campaign in terms of 6 steps:
[1] Build (select issue and plan campaign), [2] Fund, [3], Digitise, [4]
Support, [5] Escalate, and [6] Tell.  Below please find a discussion of
the first part of stop 1.

PHASE ONE.  BUILD:  "Building" starts with reviewing the core vision and
mission of the organization and selecting specific issue(s) to work on.
  Sept. 25, we discussed three issues:

	  * 1.  Building the Green Party.

	  * 2.  Environment, especially global warming.

	  * 3.  Healthcare for all.

	  The Campaign Toolkit asked how these issues relate to the
organization's core vision and mission.  The first two are in the name
"Green".  To evaluate the connection of healthcare to the Green vision
and mission, it may help to recite the "four pillars that define Green
politics:  ecology, social justice, grassroots democracy, and
non-violence."  (Wikipedia, "Green politics)  For me at least,
healthcare for all is an important component of social justice.

	SUBSTEP 2.  CAMPAIGN CYCLE WORKSHEET:  The next step recommended by the
Toolkit is a "campaign cycle worksheet", which requires answering two
questions:

2 A. What specific problem or problems related to the larger issue will
you focus your campaign on?
2 B. How do these problems align with your organisation’s core vision
and mission?

	  Caroline said that where ever she goes, there are people unhappy with
the Republicans and Democrats. She then invites them to register Green.
  She also noted that Lisa Altieri (goco2free.org and 350.org) wants to
be apolitical.  Caroline noted that we could easily politicize their
issue.

SG:  Nader (2014) Unstoppable (Nation Books) suggests that there are
broad segments of the US population, including people registered
Republicans and Libertarians -- especially conservative icons like
Friedrich Hayak, who advocated regulatory mechanisms to prevent
deception and monopolies and preserve health, and who also supported a
comprehensive system of social insurance for sickness and accidents (pp.
161-162).  This is most obvious for infectious diseases:  We'd all be
healthier if everyone else got all the effective vaccines and sought
medical attention for any condition that might be contagious.  I think
many conservatives now know that the US lags the rest of the developed
world in public health.  We need to talk with conservatives to learn
more about their concerns and what they would support.

	  Regarding increasing voter registration and electoral participation,
people noted that Prop 14 created problems for the Greens and other
minority parties.  Spencer said that Dave Kadlecek, who's with the Peace
& Freedom Party, said that they conducted write-in campaigns for
uncontested seats in the primary.

SPENCER WILL ASK ABOUT THE RULES FOR CONDUCTING AN OFFICIAL WRITE-IN
CAMPAIGN.

** WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT INVITING PEACE & FREEDOM PARTY MEMBERS TO OUR
MONTHLY MEETINGS?  We can share the agenda and collaborate on common
issues.  Only Green party members can vote to decide what the Greens
want to do, and similarly for the Peace & Freedom party members.  I
should ask Kadlecek.

	  Comments?  Clearly, we can have a broader discussion of specific
problems related to party registration, environment and health care
including how they align with our Ten Key Values.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer

--
Spencer Graves, PhD