[GPSCC-chat] Issues About Hosting the June GPCA Plenary

WB4D23 at aol.com WB4D23 at aol.com
Sun Jan 18 17:11:51 PST 2015

January 18, 2015

Hello GPSCC email group:  At our last monthly meeting,  those present
agreed that our local County GP would serve as host for a state  party meeting to
overlap and follow one of three "polycentric gatherings" of the  US Social
Forum at San Jose State University.  In thinking about this and  comments
that were made at the meeting, I wanted to make the following  comments:

1.  IMO it would be a huge mistake for the GPCA to only  hold
a meeting where only GP members could attend -- which is what  initially
was suggested.  Whether it is organized locally or by the state  party, or
some combination of efforts, there should be one or more workshops or  panels
during the Thursday-Saturday of the USSF schedule.  The GPCA can  hold its
meeting separately.  That is how logistics were handled in Detroit  when the
GPUS held an annual meeting in conjunction with a US Social Forum  gathering
the week before the GPUS weekend meetings.

2.  My understanding is that an outside group needs to  have a campus
sponsor in order to use SJSU facilities.  This is an  additional issue because
the USSF is scheduled to end on Saturday so that folks  can go to SF for the
Gay Pride march the next day.  We need to check the  availability and costs
for the United Way building (Hedding and  the Alameda in San Jose) that was
used the last time the GPSCC hosed a  plenary.  Another possibility that was
mentioned at the December meeting  was De Anza College.  Either way,
location is a critical issue in event  planning, and we need to get that started
ASAP.

3.  We need to use the USSF/Plenary as an opportunity for  outreach and
recruitment for more local activists and helpers.  We need to  create an email
and telephone campaign for that purpose.  For example, we  will need to try
to find local hosts for persons attending from  out-of-area.  We also will
need to collect and provide housing,  transportation and dining information
for the Plenary.  As local hosts, we  would be expected to provide or arrange
the morning continental breakfast items  and lunch on-site for the GPCA
meetings Saturday and Sunday.

Thoughts?  Questions?

Warner