[GPSCC-chat] Infrastructure Fees

Spencer B Graves spencer.graves at effectivedefense.org
Sat Jan 24 19:11:56 PST 2015

1.  What is known about the subsidies received by the fossil fuel industry and their consumers?  Without those subsidies, the price at the pump would almost certainly be higher.  That in turn would increase the demand for vehicles that are more fuel efficient or that use alternative sources for energy.

2.  What estimates have been made of the dollar value of the losses and dislocations anticipated from human contributions to global warming?  This is highly controversial, largely because the commercial media have so far not noticed a substantive reduction in their audience from their distorted coverage of this issue.  (The media sell behavior change in their audience to funders.  If the funders don’t like what the media disseminate, they can go elsewhere and have.  The audience can go elsewhere also but largely have not.)

3.  If anyone has credible research on these issues that is not appropriately cited in relevant articles on Wikipedia or Wikiversity, I might be able to help make appropriate edits.  I think it’s worth doing.  The Wikipedia article on the “Stop On-Line Piracy Act” got a million edits between Thanksgiving and Christmas 2011 and helped derail that project.  Anyone can change almost anything on Wikipedia, and anyone else can revert your changes.  Revisions that are written from a neutral point of view citing credible sources are usually retained.

Spencer