[GPSCC-chat] What is the US Social Forum? June 24-28 in San Jose

perrysandy at aol.com perrysandy at aol.com
Mon Jun 1 10:51:28 PDT 2015

www.ussocialforum.net
 What is the US Social Forum?

The US Social Forum (USSF) is a movement building process. It isnot a
 conference but it is a space to comeup with the peoples’ solutions to the
economic andecological crisis. The USSF is politically and economically independent, and isled by impacted communities. We are not beholden to the power structure, nor tothe large institutional funders (sometimes described as the "non-profitindustrial complex"). We certainly welcome institutional funders to collaboratewith us, but we do not allow fundraising to dictate our work.
The third US Social Forum will be an  important step in our
 struggle to build a powerful multi-racial, multi-sectoral,inter-generational, diverse, inclusive, internationalist movement thattransforms this country and
 changes history.
We must declare what we want our world to look like and we
must start planning the path to get there. The USSF providesspaces to learn from each other’s experiences and struggles, share our analysisof the problems
our communities face, buildrelationships, and align with our international
brothers and sisters to strategize how to reclaim our world.
We live day to day in crisis and struggle. For the first time inhistory we are experiencing a rapidly deepening crisis of global capitalismaffecting millions in the United States and billions world-wide – producingausterity policies and massive permanent unemployment and poverty, unimaginableclimate, ecological and social destruction, and intensifying political attacks,repression, and the threat of fascism and war everywhere. At the same time,resistance, activism and organizing are on the rise across all continents,sectors, at nd fronts of struggle.
Where is the US Social Forum being held in each of thelocation?:
In Philadelphia, the Forum will be held at Temple University. HowardGittis Student Center at Temple University (1755 N13th St Philadelphia, PA) as well as alongAmerican Street in Kensington between York Street and Cumberland Street.
In San Jose the Forum will be centralized at Washington UnitedYouth Center, 921 S. First St, in San Jose along with series of communityvenues and spaces.
 What Happens At A US Social Forum:
Self-Organized Workshops
People's Movement Assemblies
Plenaries
Expanded activities with internet and radio interface
Arts & Culture - Performances, Exhibitions, FilmFestival
Children's Social forum & Youth Activities
Local Organizing
International Participation
Direct Action
Open Spaces
Tours
Grassroots Fundraising
Skills sharing
How do I register as an individual oran organization?
Registration is available onlineuntil June 19th
 Register as an individual and select the Forum site you're planning to attend
OR
Register as an organization and register either three people (for $125) or 10 participants(at $200)
If you register as an organization, participant can attend theForum at different sites. Organizations that register may go on to apply for a workshop or People's Movement Assembly. Workshops require one organizational sponsor. PMAs requiretwo.
Remember that you can also register for the Forum in person butwe encourage you to register as soon as you can. That will allow organizationsto propose workshops or PMAs (that registration process will close in April)and it also supports our organizing the Forum since the event is mainly fundedthrough registrations. We do not turn people away from the Social Forum if theycan't pay.
How do I register a workshop or PMA?
Registration For Workshops and PMA’s is available until June5th
The US Social Forum is acceptingsubmissions for both Workshops and Peoples Movement Assemblies (PMA). Beforeyou can submit your proposal you must be registered as an organizationfor the US Social Forum. If you have not yet registered, please Register now!. Each organizationmay submit a maximum of one workshop proposal and one PMA proposal.
This years US Social Forum is dedicated to the idea that we needmore than just skill shares, panels and discussions. We need to dedicateourselves to strategic thinking, political organization and collectiveawareness. We are happy to be hosted in Philadelphia and San Jose, along with ahost of other People's Movement Assemblies across the South from Jackson to SCand more to be announced. On that note, we are looking for creative conceptsand innovative thinkers. We are looking for organizations, individuals andcollectives from all over the country with a vision for what the world might be,and strategies on how to get there.
After you have registered, you may submit a proposal for either:
      Workshop: a 1.5 hour session that requires 1registered Sponsoring Organizations.
      Peoples Movement Assembly: a 4 hour session that requires 2 registered SponsoringOrganizations.
I’ve heard about Satellite sites buthaven’t seen any information on them. Where can I find out about those?
You can learn more about the Satellitesites at the following links:

Jackson, MS
https://www.ussocialforum.net/jackson

Florence, SC
https://www.ussocialforum.net/florence

Mexico:
https://www.ussocialforum.net/aboutmexico
Would you like to sponsor the US SocialForum? Are you interested in tabling?
You can learn more about sponsorship here:
https://www.ussocialforum.net/sponsortheussf
You can get information on tablinghere:
https://www.ussocialforum.net/ussftable
What about housing and food?
For the most part, folks will be ontheir own for food. However, there will be plenty of food spaces available forfolks at both locations in terms of vendors, restaurants and other options.Please check out www.ussfphilly.org and www.ussfsanjose.com for more details.
Housing has been, and continues to be astruggle, so please be on the lookout in the next couple of days for moreinformation in this regard.
What are some examples of theprogramming that is currently available?
You can view all accepted programmingfor Philadelphia and San Jose at the following link.
https://www.ussocialforum.net/submissions
 Again, the deadlinefor submissions has been moved to June 5th.

Stay Tuned for more information
On the Edge of Silicon Valley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDq23hwy2co
The Real Philadelphia