[GPSCC-chat] Testify against Comcast-Time Warner merger this Tursday, March 12 in Sacramento

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at effectivedefense.org
Sun Mar 8 09:45:30 PDT 2015

  Might you be available to go to Sacramento this Thursday to testify
before the California Public Utilities Commission against the Comcast -
Time Warner merger?  If yes, please reply to the email below from the
Courage Campaign.

       I can't go, but if you can, I'd encourage you to consider making
a statement something like the following:

             * Research has shown that where Comcast is a local
monopoly, their rates are higher.  This makes them in violation of
anti-trust law in the US, which makes it illegal for a company to use
monopoly or oligopoly power to harm consumers.

             * The harm goes far beyond pricing to virtually every issue
of concern to California residents.  For example, what motivates people
to support the Islamic State in Syria and the Levant or the Taliban in
Afghanistan or the Russian separatists in the Ukraine?  Their actions
are incomprehensible from the news readily available in the US but quite
rational with a sufficient understanding of the other side.  If we
understood that other side better, we'd have more effective foreign and
national security policies -- and major multinationals would make less
money from governmental corruption around the world.  (See Wikiversity
articles under, "Category:Freedom and abundance".)[*]

       Thanks,
       Spencer

[*] 145 words,.  With with practice this could be read at a fast
measured pace in 60 seconds or at a more reasonable pace of 2 words per
second in 73 seconds.  With editing down to less than 100 words,
President Obama could read it in less than 60 seconds ;-)