[GPSCC-chat] Trans-Pacific Partnership

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at effectivedefense.org
Sun Nov 1 17:06:24 PST 2015

Hello, All:

	  I'd like to encourage you to vigorously oppose the TPP (Trans-Pacific
Partnership).  My biggest concern is that it could make it easier for
governments to persecute journalists and whistleblowers, who expose
crimes committed by governmental officials and hidden by secrecy laws.
Nobel-prize economist Stiglitz has said that it may also make it easier
for companies to sue governments for lost profits -- so when products
kill people, we'll have to pay the companies not to kill us.  He said it
will require governments to pay oil companies for profits they lose from
successful efforts to combat global warming.  It would also stifle
creativity by tightening copyright law excessively.

	  I believe the TPP can be beaten, like the Stop Online Piracy Act
(SOPA) was four years ago.

	  For more of my thoughts on this, see Wikiversity, "Trans-Pacific
Partnership, media, corruption and security"
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation).

	  In addition to the actions suggested in the Wikiversity article, we
could use more people working to improve the Wikipedia article on
"Trans-Pacific Partnership".  The Wikipedia article on SOPA got a
million views between Thanksgiving and Christmas 2011;  I believe that
was instrumental in killing that act.  The current Wikipedia article on
TPP is, I believe, unbalanced in favor of the proponents.  We need more
people trying to improve the balance.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer Graves