[GPSCC-chat] Action on TPP

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at effectivedefense.org
Mon Nov 30 20:48:10 PST 2015

Hello, All:

       The Electronic Frontier Foundation is asking everyone to ask
their congressional representative to vote "no" on the Trans-Pacific
Partnership (TPP).  The following web site makes it very easy to do:

https://act.eff.org/action/tell-congress-to-vote-no-on-the-tpp

       Enter your zip code and follow instructions.  You can be done in
a few seconds.

       TPP Article 18.78 poses a major threat to journalists and
whistleblowers:  Officially, it broadly criminalizes "unauthorized and
willful disclosure of a trade secret", but "trade secret" is defined so
broadly it could include evidence of violations of law.

       Similarly, TPP Article 18, Section J requires Internet Service
Providers to take down web sites accused of copyright infringement --
without a court order and with no effective recourse.

       These two provisions could seriously limit free speech.

       Fortunately, I believe the TPP can be beaten as easily as SOPA
was beaten 4 years ago.  The vote on Fast Track last June was 218 to
208.  If we flip 6 votes and the rest remain unchanged, the TPP will go
down 212 to 214.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer Graves
ph:  408-655-4567

p.s.  For more information, see Wikiversity, "Trans-Pacific Partnership,
media, corruption and security"
(https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Trans-Pacific_Partnership,_media,_corruption_and_security)