[GPSCC-chat] Search Engines

Drew jamboi at riseup.net
Sat Feb 20 14:24:13 PST 2016

The reason I recommend DuckDuckGo.com, IXQuick.com, Gibru.com,
StartPage.com is that they don't track you.  Why is this important?

Well, we Greens are political activists who are working to overturn the
status quo, and bring democracy and liberation to the U.S., yes?  Can
you think of anything about that that is likely to get us targeted by
the U.S. (In)security agencies -- that might get us arbitrarily labeled
as "terrorists", "enemies of the state" and such?

We know for a certainty that the U.S. government uses a direct tap into
Google, Yahoo/Bing/Microsoft, Facebook, as well as forcing them (and any
U.S. company and they'll attempt it with foreign companies as well) to
turn over any data like I.P. addresses they have in the name of U.S.
(in)"security".  We know that.  So why would any informed Green in their
right mind hand all their data to the NSA/FBI/CIA/(insert list of Three
Letter Acronyms soup here)?  They wouldn't.

Well unfortunately these small, ostensibly good search engines do not
have their own technology but instead are powered by one of the big,
evil search engine companies and share their advertising revenue with
them, so "under the hood" you will find Google, Bing or in the case of
Ecosia.org, Yahoo/Bing/Micro$oft.  That means (without taking
precautions) you WILL be fully tracked when you use these ostensibly
"good" search engines.  Does that not make them no longer good?  I would
say so.

For a longer discussion see http://donttrack.us/ or
http://DoNotTrack.com or https://www.eff.org/issues/do-not-track, or
http://gibru.com or