[GPSCC-chat] GPSCC Notes 11-17-16

perrysandy at aol.com perrysandy at aol.com
Sun Nov 20 22:21:34 PST 2016

Green Party of Santa ClaraCounty, November 17, 2016

Intros and AnnouncementsRay, Jessica, Nassim, Jim Doyle, Christine, Mike Patterson from Gilroy (becamea Green), Joan Simon (there will be a rally in front of the City Hall on Sunday),Mike, Sandy (County Council), John and Amanda--artists, Tian, Caroline (CountyCouncil), Robert (registered Green), Melanie Liu, Matt (registered Green),Jake, Maria (she is leaving to move to Sacramento tonight), Joyce (said TTPwill not be sent to Congress during the Lame Duck session).
Facilitator Robert, NoteTaker Caroline, Agenda for next month Sandy.

Treasurer's Report Warnerwas not present. We thought our treasury has about $600-$700. We sent a bucketaround and collected around $85 which Jim will send to Warner. Sandy said thereis $12 left from the Jill Stein group. The group agreed to give it to the GreenParty.

Election Results. Some of usdoubt the total that was reported for the Green Party. We discussed theproblems and value of the Electoral College. We need electoral reform includingranked choice voting. Nassim passed out "Transitioning Our Strategic Plan"(copy attached). Jim Doyle said we need to work on getting someone elected locallyin 2017. There are school boards and water boards and other nonpartisanoffices. We need to get experience. We need to work on repealing TheTelecommunication Act of 1986. This is what has made the media the voice of thecorporations.

Social Media and EmailIssues. Brian got our website fixed so both the California GP & Googledirect people to it. Nassim is going to merge the Jill Stein Facebook group andthe Green Party so we don't lose information, and. contacts. We need someone todo a blog. Jim Doyle suggested Wes Rolley. Robert thought Brian Danza wouldmake a good coordinator. Robert asked Jessica to make a job description for aperson in charge of blogging. Sandy will put it on next month’s agenda. Mikehas a YouTube page at South Bay Green Party. Joan gave him a Jill Stein video.

Movie Night. Robert got abunch of movies & will check out availability of Peace & Justice Centerstarting in December. GPSCC will co-sponsor with Economic Justice Film Series.

Economics for Activists bookdiscussion club. Sandy said we could co-sponsor this & group agreed to doso.

Nassim proposed a speakerseries & group agreed to invite Shane McLoud, of ElectionEquality.org who’s proposing abold election reform package some timein January.

Matt proposed a series ofdiscussion forums to occur every three months, group agreed.

Melanie is organizing a NoDAPL  gathering in Mt. View at the DanaSt. Roasting Company at 12:00 on Sunday. Bring winter clothes to donate.

The Greens Jill SteinCampaign Pizza party and NoDAPL fundraiser collected over $600 in donationsthat Sandy presented to Byanca Franco , who along with 2 friends are going toND next week and will be purchasing supplies and winter clothing to bringfor water protectors there.

Mel, Jake and Jackiewill also be going to ND in the next 2-3 weeks. The Greens took a picture witha banner stating that CA Greens stand with Standing Rock and Mel will take itand present it to the Water Protectors in ND.

We added Nassim & Robert to the CountyCouncil.

Maria is leaving tonight. Wesang her Happy Birthday because we couldn't think of a good good-bye song.
_______________________________
Nassim & Jessica wrotethe following proposed job description for the web site blog coordinator:
SCGreens Website Blog CoordinatorResponsibilities:

- Secure content - findwriters, search public domain for pre-published sources of content
- Edit content -coordinate with writers on content, relevance, quality, andtechnical specifications
- Coordinatepublications - schedule blogs by topic, time the publication to relevant GreenParty issues and add links for national and local events, actions andorganizations.
- Publish blog page -log onto the SC Greens website regularly and publish blogs using the Wordpressformat. Coordinate with web designer / manager to best implement the page.
- Report - Communicateblog activity and stats to the Greens at meetings, make suggestions andimprovement to the process

Transitioning Our Strategy Plan
GOAL
SantaClara Greens GOAL: (draft)
Strengthenand expand the CA Green Party base, registrations, visibility, and localcandidates for office.

STRATEGY
-   Education
-   CoalitionBuilding
-   Outreach
-    Electoral

TACTICS & ACTIONS

•   Education
-   Book discussionclubs
-   Documentarymovie series
-   Invitedspeakers
-   Externaleducational events

•   Coalition Building
-   MetaGroups - South Bay Progressive Alliance
-   PushFor Progress
-   Policebrutality - BLM, Justice For Josiah
-   ElectionIntegrity
-   OtherLeftist/progressive organizations

•   Outreach
-   Collegecampus Green clubs - SJSU, De Anza,FootHill, West Valley
-   FarmersMarket tabling - stay present and take stands on issues
-   Directaction and demonstrations: Climate, DAPL, injustice, war
-   Greensat social events: 5Ks, Bike Party, Bar crawl, concerts.
-   RecruitCelebrities: sports stars, local and media personalities
-   Offerservices - career help, resume builders, volunteer
-   Writingletters and op-eds, and other channels of independent media

•   Electoral
-   Seekingand supporting local candidates
-   Starta local/state ballot initiative for Rank Choice Voting in CA
-   Supportor initiate a national level repeal of the 96 Telecommunication Act

Notesfrom 11/2 South Bay for Jill Stein Campaign meeting:
Importantissues to stand up for and organizations to work with:

Local  / Orgs

National

Single  Payer Coalition, (JS)

Healthcare