[StrategyPlan] Goals and Strategy Exercise

Jim Stauffer jims at greens.org
Fri Dec 10 16:00:18 PST 2010

The "strategy" discussions on the coco list have been centered around
developing a list of issues to send to the Locals. I've never been clear on
what the Locals are suppose to do with that list -- discuss the issues
verbatim or just use them as a reference for local discussions.

I've not favored a 'list' approach, preferring to hear what the Locals come up
with on their own, but emphasizing the need to be realistic (as opposed to
wish-list brainstorming).

Also, there doesn't seem to be agreement on the duration and composition of
the counties' strategy meetings. I still advocated the one-day, multi-counties
structure.

I've put together a draft of an announcement to send to the Locals. It's
centered around the approach I've advocated. However, I did take the issues
list that was developed and added it as a reference of what cocos had
suggested. (Actually, that list is primarily Shane's contributions plus a few
of mine.)

Comments on this plan are welcome. But I would like to hear whether or not
people are generally in favor of this approach.

However, this announcement will be received in the counties with no
forewarning or prior discussions on the topic. This is one of the conditions I
wanted to avoid. It would be far better to discuss this plan with the counties
at a GA prior to sending them an actionable item. Should we send this now, or
wait until after the next GA?

Also, this plan assumes that the CC will be actively involved with
facilitating this project by being in touch with their Locals and encouraging
their participation, and helping to organize the meetings.

Jim

           GPCA  GOALS  AND  STRATEGIES  FOR  LONG-TERM  PLANNING
                        A Participatory Exercise

Green Party Locals:

We would like to engage all GPCA county Locals in an exercise to establish
long-term goals for the party. By agreeing on a set of goals, we give the
party definition and purpose. From those goals we develop strategies for their
implementation. This creates projects for our Working Groups and Standing
Committees (WG/SC), and it helps attract volunteers and donations.

It’s important to be realistic when setting goals. Brainstorming exercises
encourage free-thinking with no critique or analysis of suggested issues. Goal
setting is different; it’s intended to derive projects that are achievable,
not just desirable. We all have a list of favorite issues and a wish-list of
what we’d like the party to be. But we must focus on what we can actually
accomplish – realistic goals.

We encourage Locals to get together with your neighboring counties for this
exercise. Gathering into a group from a few counties helps the thought
process. It gets us outside of our normal monthly meeting crowd and provides
the synergy of a larger group.

The Coordinating Committee (CC) will gather the reports from this exercise and
present the results at next General Assembly. The CC would like all county

PROCESS

We are proposing an afternoon meeting of up to four hours for this exercise. A
venue should be selected that allows participants to attend and return home in
one day.

Contact your neighboring counties and get an estimate of attendance. Find a
meeting room or a house of sufficient size. Consider traveling distance for
all attendees.

Take notes of the goals discussed and rank or categorize them by the level of
agreement or support. Submit the report to your CC Regional Rep, or to the CC
list (gpca-cc at cagreens.org). Please identify which counties participated in
the exercise and how many people attended.

DISCUSSION

We want to hear what Locals think our long-term goals should be. This requires
some degree of open discussion, but the exercise must remain moderated by the
theme of realistic goals. For every suggested goal, the presenter should have
some idea of a strategy to implement that goal.

Basically, the question to answer is, “What should the GPCA accomplish in five
years and in ten years?”

Some organizing may help the discussion:

Political Goals
         Partisan and non-partisan candidates
         Campaigns and ballot proposition
         Election reforms