[StrategyPlan] our approach to Strategizing

Kendra Gonzales earthworks_works at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 21:08:31 PST 2010

my responses in yellow below

Kendra Gonzales

________________________________

From: Jim Stauffer <jims at greens.org>
To: GPCA Strategy Planning <strategyplan at cagreens.org>
Sent: Mon, December 13, 2010 7:42:43 PM
Subject: Re: [StrategyPlan] our approach to Strategizing

Yes, I suggest we send a short list of issues asking for pros/cons, just as a
starting point...just as some kind of reference or example of what a Strategic
Plan might include - just as you suggest.

The only use I see for an issues list is as an example of the kinds of topics we
want discussed.

Again, exactly my point. All we are asking locals to do is  consider the issues
we raise. They may throw them right out as being irrelevent, though I doubt
that. Of course, we also ask for their ideas.

The message I'm proposing is not too long. It is shorter than most GA proposals,
and it's not a complex topic. My experience has been that counties do respond
(relatively speaking) to short, succinct projects like this. The only lengthy
section of the message is the reference list of issues, but I assumed we would
whittle that down.

I agree with the whittling down

The message asks each group to submit a summary of their discussion to the CC. I
don't object to using a wiki, but I doubt its usefulness so I don't want to
spend a lot of time on it.

So, if the CC is the recipient of all the data, then they are responsible for
putting it into some sort of recorded strutcture. What do you propose that would
be?.  I disagree that Wiki is not useful. Also, locals can have an opportunity
to post their responses and ideas themselves. If they don't, then fine...the CC
can do it for them.

I'd like to hear comments on the two approaches being proposed:

  - Send a list of issues to the counties for their comment.

  - Ask the counties to send us a list of issues.

Why not do both?. Send 10 "suggested" issues, ask for pros / cons and ask
for THEIR ideas too.

That's the main focus of what this project - the local viewpoint. The 10 (or so)
items are just suggestions.

My main concern is that this project is coming to the counties with no
forewarning. There's better participation when the project is first discussed at
a GA. This is now going to need some active support from the CC to promote it
through the Regional Reps. Or, put this off until after the Spring GA.

I don't see the need for a warning. Its a pretty basic request and simply
opening up lines of communication.
We would waste the entire first quarter of 2011 waiting for the GA and then we
certainly don't have all of our locals represented there. One of the benefits of
this proposal happening now and throughout Jan, Feb, March is to offer plenty of
opportunity for locals to receive, digest, discuss, and respond. And, time
for us to do follow-up from those who don't respond to the email(s).

I would also like to hear back from others please. The 10 suggested items and
Wiki seem to be the only thing we disagree on. Getting close!

On 12/12/2010 12:42 PM, Kendra Gonzales wrote:

> Hello all,

> I've briefly scanned over Jim's draft to send to County Contacts....its not
> at all disimilar to what we've been proposing. However, I suggest we really
>  simplify the email, offer just a handful of suggested topic items or
> questions for their consideration.

> The email is a bit too lengthy and people might feel overwhelmed when
> reading it....not to say all the content isn't important, but I've found
> that email communication warrants a short and to the point approach because
> its just too easy to hit "delete". As evidenced by this email, I have the
> same problem myself and need to really edit things down for simplicity's
> sake!

> Another missing component is a place to send local ideas and action items
> so we can record and organize them together into the "Plan". How do we
> document everything? I have suggested Wiki....Marnie Glickman has created
> one but specific to her proposal for the first part of 2011. Can we use it
> for the larger picture stuff too?
> http://wiki.cagreens.org/index.php/Green_2012.

> Do we create our own Wiki, or use something else all together?

> Jenni Woodward has also created a Greens Specific virtual space on her own
>  platform:

> CAGreens-Test is reached at: www.weblearningtools.org/CAGreens-Test.
> CAGreenIDEAS.org will be reachable at either cagreenideas.org or
> www.cagreenideas.org .

> I'll create a draft email to the counties as well, and Barry said he was
> going to do one. Maybe between Jim, Barry, and myself we can create a best
> approach.

> Kendra Gonzales

Kendra -

Every time I raise a concern or suggest something different you say it's the
same as what you've proposed. It is not. Your last proposal was to send a list
of issues to the counties and ask them to write pro/con statements on each. I'm
proposing the counties tell us what they think are the issues we should
concentrate on in the long term. Not telling the counties what issues the state
party thinks we should work on and see if they agree.