[StrategyPlan] our approach to Strategizing

Jim Stauffer jims at greens.org
Mon Dec 13 19:42:43 PST 2010

Kendra -

Every time I raise a concern or suggest something different you say it's the
same as what you've proposed. It is not. Your last proposal was to send a list
of issues to the counties and ask them to write pro/con statements on each.
I'm proposing the counties tell us what they think are the issues we should
concentrate on in the long term. Not telling the counties what issues the
state party thinks we should work on and see if they agree.

The only use I see for an issues list is as an example of the kinds of topics
we want discussed.

The message I'm proposing is not too long. It is shorter than most GA
proposals, and it's not a complex topic. My experience has been that counties
do respond (relatively speaking) to short, succinct projects like this. The
only lengthy section of the message is the reference list of issues, but I
assumed we would whittle that down.

The message asks each group to submit a summary of their discussion to the CC.
I don't object to using a wiki, but I doubt its usefulness so I don't want to
spend a lot of time on it.

I'd like to hear comments on the two approaches being proposed:

   - Send a list of issues to the counties for their comment.

   - Ask the counties to send us a list of issues.

My main concern is that this project is coming to the counties with no
forewarning. There's better participation when the project is first discussed
at a GA. This is now going to need some active support from the CC to promote
it through the Regional Reps. Or, put this off until after the Spring GA.

Jim