[StrategyPlan] CC on Strategy Plan Announcement

Jim Stauffer jims at greens.org
Tue Jan 4 17:00:41 PST 2011

The CC reviewed the proposed announcement last night. It's ready to go as soon
as Kendra and I work out wording about how this list will be used as the
alternate posting spot.

There were some concerns, listed below. Our final conclusion was to address
the concerns in a follow-up message in one week.

Barry Hermanson was concerned that the message states that this is important,
but didn't describe why. He's going to pen a few lines for the follow-up.

I raised the concern about not promoting the idea of counties gathering into
small groups for their discussions. A few others agreed. That will also be
added to the follow-up.

We discussed the need for sending periodic reminders to the counties. Barry
and Adrienne volunteered to make calls. We should also send email reminders.

The section from the meeting minutes is copied below.

Jim

Attending: Michael Borenstein, Barry Hermanson, Matt Leslie, Adrienne Prince,
David Quinley, Michael Rubin, Jim Stauffer.

3 - Finalize draft and authorize distribution of the 'Strategy Notice' to the
County Contacts list.  [10 min]

         JS: Reads text of Kendra Gonzales’ Strategy Notice and intent of Wiki
discussion. She wants this distributed to the lists.

         BH: I like it. The only thing that’s missing, is some statement at
the beginning as to why people should get involved. Why is this an exciting
project? I personally believe this is an extraordinary time for the Greens.
I’d add 3 – 4 sentences at the beginning. She has put together a good basic
document.

         AP: I would pass that input on to her.

         JS: She and I are still having a technical discussion regarding the
wiki vs. the email list. Something that disappeared in the evolution of this
document is mention of getting counties together with their neighbors. We will
get better discussions if we can get more participants. I don’t know how
anyone else feels about these group meetings, but I think they’d be beneficial.

         BH: The internal aspects of why it’s important to have good
planning…I feel should be mentioned.

        MB: This notice is about as long as a County Contacts notice. These
amendments can be inserted very briefly.

        BH: I’d like to be a traveling liaison, helping the Counties/Regions
conduct their discussions.

        MR: I agree with Jim. I’d be sad to see the ideas of special event
gatherings disappear from this. We should at least try and involve
not-the-usual-activists in our counties.

        MB: I think that could be put back in…

        JS: I wonder if we should send this one as-is, and then one week
later, a message about how to connect with the locals. It would be nice to
give some guidance about how to conduct a live meeting on this topic.

       DQ: Could there be a connection to any of the data collecting that
Marnie is doing? Could she be gathering some feedback while doing her calling?

       MB: We are trying to get individual and group suggestions for strategy
for short and long-term planning, to be created and consensed upon at the next
two plenaries. What do we want for a timeline? It would be good to send this
out asap.

       BH: So we need to finish this tonight!

       DQ: How is this different than anything we’ve tried to do in the past?

        JS: We have never actually gone out to the counties for strategic
input.or long-term goal setting. This is an experiment, a major departure. It
would be nice to see if there are some common themes out there.

        BH: Jim, are you going to send this out to the county contacts? Send
out several messages, with updates, and how-to’s. Maybe a couple of follow-up
messages in the next few weeks. I would make an offer that if counties or
regions want to include this on an agenda, I will attend the meeting just to
listen.

        AP: So are we consensing that we send this to the county contacts list
as-is, with followup messages over the next few weeks?

       BH: We would then need to decide then the text of future messages.

       MB: Passes by consensus.

       AP: Is there a phone list we can use to follow up with? I’d like to
make some phone calls.

       JS: Yes, we do have some phone numbers and emails. Its on the IT
webside behind the common password. Ca Green website/IT. Link called “county
contacts.”

       BH: I’ll make phone calls.

       AP: I’ll do South, you can do North.

       MB: And if they get 2 phone calls, all the better!

       JS: Everything will go to the County Contacts list, the Co-Co’s list
and the GPCA list.