[StrategyPlan] Strategy Plan Announcement

Bert truekahuna at comcast.net
Sun Jan 9 10:36:49 PST 2011

Jim,

I wouldn't say you've blown it at all. Kendra and I started that wiki
page set last Sunday morning. What is there now was "thrown up" while we
were on the phone together simply as a way to get started. It is still
very much a work-in-progress.

As a second step, Kendra has collated the emails sent to this list -
including your suggestions and has sent me the file. My part of "step 2"
is to put all of that information into the wiki pages "as best I can".

The third step was to then ask for what would then be the second round
of opinions on (what would then be) the "prototype".

Also, and just to set the record straight, what you attribute as "Bert's
original idea" wasn't mine at all. I have yet to advocate what should or
should not be the content of our party strategy. I have argued only that:

(a) Whatever discussion points are decided upon, whether that's a list
of questions or something else entirely, should be open to active input
from the various county parties.

(b) That we all recognize that any goals, and strategy to acheive those
goals, implies "tasks to be done".

(c) That we must agree ahead of time what "completion" means for each
task (or set of tasks).

(d) That responsibility for those tasks has to be both assigned and
accepted, and that part of that responsibility is agreeing to some
manner of deadline.

(e) That there must be ongoing and active monitoring of our progress
toward our goals.

I am trying to express my feeling that we must teach ourselves that we
can have reasonable expectations of one another and, furthermore, that
the best way to satisfy those expectations is to learn to practice the
most basic of management techniques. I know we're not a business and
that we cannot run GPCA as though it were a business. But I also know
that any strategy, no matter how well conceived, will not survive lack
of execution.

Bert Heuer