[Sosfbay-discuss] Eucalyptus Tree Destruction

Andrea Dorey andid at cagreens.org
Tue Nov 22 16:27:34 PST 2005

Sorry to disagree with this position, but these high resin-containing
trees are one of the MOST DANGEROUS trees we have growing in
fire-hazard (desert) California.

Fire departments hate them.  They are living torches waiting to ignite.

They were the main cause of the burn-down of the Oakland hills.

They can explode and drop huge limbs in the summer (due to resin
expansion) and they torch at excessively high temperatures that will
spontaneously ignite structures less than 100 feet away.  And during
the winter, the winds break off large limbs and debris that litter the
ground and the streets around them.

They are NOT native to this country, having been imported from, I
believe, Australia.  Their droppings sterilize the ground and prevent
any other growth, including native plants, from establishing themselves
beneath or nearby these trees.  The droppings are highly fire-hazardous
as well.

Small fire departments in rural areas are trying to rid themselves of
this menace.

I know they are big and beautiful and they smell nice if you like
medicine wafting through your neighborhood year-round, but there are
other trees that can grow big and gracefully without creating a
year-round hazard.

Andrea