[Sosfbay-discuss] my take propositions

E. Alan Meece eameece at california.com
Wed Oct 26 19:02:14 PDT 2005

So far this is how I am voting on the propositions.

No on 73; this is a clever means for the religious right to further
their agenda here in Ca. It would redefine a fetus as a person. I still
worry that requiring notification by parents for a teen having an
abortion would cause some teens to get them illegally and put them in
danger. I understand that abortion should not be a casual thing and
there should be restrictions, but I think what we have is probably
enough.

Prop.74 - We have a teacher shortage as it is, and they are restricted
by testing requirements and other bureaucratic falderall. I am very much
against this one. Teachers would not feel secure in their jobs because
they could be fired for what they say or if their boss doesn't like
them. It would discourage people from being teachers at a time when many
are already fed up. Teachers are not to blame for the problems with
education, in my opinion.

Prop.75- This takes away power from public employees unions, even though
corporate unions have all the powers which 75 would take away from
unions. I am very much opposed to this.

Prop.76- probably the worst of Arnie's power grabs. It gives him
unchecked power to cut programs as well as rolls back prop.98 which
assured school funding. The spending limits in the measure might be nice
(although at times they would be too inflexible), but right now we have
a governor who thinks any taxes on the rich ruins our economy. He would
use this measure to gut good programs and protect his rich buddies and
himself from having to pay taxes.

Prop.77 - I have decided to support this one. It seems like a fair
system overall, even if not perfect. It is better than what we have now,
because the incumbent legislators of both dominant parties have
gerrymandered themselves into impregnable seats. Common Cause agrees. I
don't like the timing; I would rather this were to take effect in 2010--
but I don't think it will diminish Democratic Party power. I would like
this measure to pass so it can be a model for other states; many of
which have been gerrymandered into Republican impregnability in Congress
and in statehouses. We can never investigate much less impeach the likes
of Bush so long as this condition persists, unless a miraculous
progressive Democratic landslide happens. Yes on 77.

Prop.78 - This measure does virtually nothing to make drugs affordable;
it is on the ballot solely to defeat Prop.79, which WILL do something.
Vote NO on 78 and YES on 79. The ad campaign is exhibit A on why we need
to prohibit such massive campaign spending on propositions, both during
the campaign and signature drives. It will confuse many voters.

Prop.80 - I will vote no. I has some good things, but why should the
major utility companies like PG&E have the protection of a law
prohibiting people to switch to another company?

Comments?

Eric the Green