[Sosfbay-discuss] Impeachment and Pelosi

Larry Cafiero Liaison larrycafiero_liaison at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 7 13:20:20 PST 2006

Hey, Wes --

Pelosi "electing herself president" by Constitutional succession would
be highly improbable (and becoming vice president is impossible,
Constitutionally speaking), even though the right-wing media apparatus
could (and more than likely would) paint any such move by Pelosi ad
nauseum as such.

As you know, Wes, for Pelosi to actually become president, both Bush and
Cheney would have to either perish simultaneously or, in an impeachment
scenario that has not been tested (Constitutionally speaking), Both Bush
and Cheney would have to be impeached and convicted simultaneously.

She couldn't become "vice president" in the event of Cheney's
impeachment/conviction, but she does become first in the line of
presidential succession until a vice president is chosen and approved by
both houses of Congress.

(You and I are old enough to remember that we went through the vice
presidential replacement drill twice in the '70s, with Gerald Ford
taking over for Spiro Agnew and Nelson Rockefeller taking over for Ford
when Nixon resigned. I hate to confess, but I think back nostalgically
on those days . . .)

She knows the rules, and I'm not willing to give her a free pass on this
issue. It would be worse if you are right about Pelosi wanting to shy
away from the spin cycle of the media (in fact, it would be a good way
of bringing up the issue of presidential succession and informing the
public about it), and probably something to consider promoting since it
looks like the Democrats are about to punt this one away and stick to
their "politics as usual" game plan.

Larry Cafiero