[Sosfbay-discuss] Round-Up of News Bits for Greens

Andrea Dorey andid at cagreens.org
Thu Jul 13 08:13:01 PDT 2006

Have you heard that Congress is right now trying to stop the
importation of cheaper-priced Canadian medicines because they're
afraid of dangerous chemicals that might be hidden in the shipments
by terrorists?   Yup, that's what the big-pharma-controlled
politicians are worried about!  Uh-huh.

Do you know that we pay the insurance companies to cover our health,
dental, and drugs, our cars and motorcycles, houses and summer
cabins, recreation vehicles and boats, luggage and travel (like
flight insurance), life, our burial costs...is there anything these
guys have forgotten to insure?  Can you spell "protection racket"?

Save Our Democracy!
Common Ground for June 2006 notes that D.C. has a habit of
interfering in foreign elections by use of an agency known as the
National Endowment for Democracy (NED).    NY professor of politics
Bertell Ollman jokingly suggested that we need an INTERNATIONAL
Endowment for Democracy (IEFD) that would allow foreigners to
contribute funds to restore democracy inside the U.S.  The idea "took
off."  Ollman is now heading a board of directors that includes
author Gore Vidal, former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark, and
National Lawyers' Guild President Michael Rattner.  To check out
their mission and their blogs, cartoons, and videos, see iefd.org.

The Electric Automobile Association (EAA) is urging the public who
like to breathe (without asthma or other pulmonary obstructions) to
write or email Toyota to make "plug-in" hybrids.  It can be done by
the auto makers and it has been done by one member who participated
in the recent drive from Santa Clara to Sacramento, a 117 mile trip.
The road-worthy hybrid Prius with the home-made plug-in kit got 100+
miles per gallon (BTW, beating Honda's 2000 Insight rated at 60-71
miles per gallon).

Save California's Water!
Have you heard of S 912?  It's the Clean Water Authority Restoration
Act of 2005.  Urge Senator DiFi to cosponsor it!  For more info, see
environmentcalifornia.org.

Aren't these all Green Party concerns?  Shouldn't they be?
Andrea

"We can have concentrated wealth in the hands of a few or we can have
democracy, but we cannot have both."
---Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis