[Sosfbay-discuss] FW: CALPIRG : Tell Gov. Schwarzenegger to Protect Public Transit

Curt Wechsler wechslertoo at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 22 11:06:48 PST 2007

[Original Message]
> From: Steve Blackledge, CALPIRG Legislative Director <SteveB at calpirg.org>
> To: <wechslertoo at earthlink.net>
> Date: 2/22/2007 10:45:20 AM
> Subject: CALPIRG : Tell Gov. Schwarzenegger to Protect Public Transit
>
> Hi Curt,
>
> Public transit is essential to relieve California's traffic congestion
and reduce harmful pollution. Unfortunately, Governor Schwarzenegger's
proposed budget would raid more than $1.1 billion from public transit,
taking away more than half of state funding.

> Tell Governor Schwarzenegger that cutting more than $1.1 billion from
public transit will only result in more cars on the road, more traffic
congestion, and more pollution. Then, ask your friends and family to help
by forwarding this email to them.

> To take action, click on this link or paste it into your web browser:
> http://calpirg.org/CA.asp?id=336&id4=ES
>

> Background:
>
> The Governor's proposed budget cuts more than $1.1 billion from public
transit, significantly reducing the funding for agencies to provide
reliable service and invest in new transit lines.

> With California's booming population growth, adequate, reliable public
transit is critical to prevent an increase in traffic congestion.
California is already home to three of the five most congested cities in
the nation, and California's population will grow by thirteen million new
people by 2030, more than the entire population of Los Angeles. Public
transit provides critical relief to traffic congestion. In fact,
researchers estimate that if transit passengers were part of the general
traffic flow in cities, total congestion would increase 27 percent.

> Public transit also burns less oil, which is good news for public health
and the environment. On average, public transit burns one-third of the
petroleum per passenger than similar travel by car. That's why the
Governor's Climate Action Team is depending on increased use of public
transit to meet our state's goals to reduce global warming pollution.

> Unfortunately, powerful companies that profit from road and highway
construction and maintenance contracts have a long history of success in
ensuring the vast majority of transportation funds go to roads and
highways. California spends less than 20% of transportation funds on public
transit. The proposed cuts in the Governor's budget will further decrease
spending on public transit, even as road and highway spending dramatically
increases.

> CALPIRG is teaming up with environmental groups, transit riders and
workers, and local officials to convince the Legislature that public
transit funding must be a priority for the state in order to reduce traffic
congestion, cut pollution, and improve our quality of life. After we
protect funding in this year's budget, CALPIRG will be working for an
increase in reliable funding for public transit in future years, so that
public transit across the state has the ability to add new lines and
maintain the quality service that it needs to attract new riders.

> Tell Governor Schwarzenegger that cutting more than $1.1 billion from
public transit will only result in more cars on the road, more traffic
congestion, and more pollution. Then, ask your friends and family to help
by forwarding this email to them.

> To take action, click on this link or paste it into your web browser:
> http://calpirg.org/CA.asp?id=336&id4=ES
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steve Blackledge
> CALPIRG Legislative Director
> SteveB at calpirg.org
> http://www.calpirg.org
>
> P.S.  Thanks again for your support.  Please feel free to share this
e-mail with your family and friends.