[Sosfbay-discuss] Our bylaws say all 7 County Council seats must be filled ASAP!

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 5 16:19:25 PST 2007

Lo and behold, I just now discovered looking at our bylaws that its not
just a desirable thing for us to get our County Council back up to its
full seven members - its a requirement!

"Vacancies on the Council that reduce the membership to less than seven
will be filled by appointment by the remaining County Council member(s)
within 30 days of the vacancy."

So since we need to strive to "reflect the diversity of the general
population in the county", and right now we have 3 white males (Jim
Doyle, Gerry Gras and me, Drew Johnson), we especially need to look to
gender balance and ethnic balance in appointing folks to fill out our
CC.  So let's put our heads together and come up with qualified
candidates for these positions.

Here's the bylaw in context:
http://cagreens.org/sclara/bylaws.shtml

"2.2.2 The County Council is designated by the State Green Party bylaws
to consist of seven members elected at large from the county's Green
Party constituency. Additional members may be appointed by the Council.
Vacancies on the Council that reduce the membership to less than seven
will be filled by appointment by the remaining County Council member(s)
within 30 days of the vacancy. The State Green Party Coordinating
Committee and the Santa Clara Registrar of Voters shall be informed of
all appointed members within two working days of the appointment. It
shall be an objective of the Green Party of Santa Clara County that its
County Council reflect the diversity of the general population in the
county and likewise reflect Green Party values."

Green solidarity!

Drew

JamBoi
Jammy The Sacred Cow Slayer