[Sosfbay-discuss] Gonzales

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Thu Mar 22 08:46:38 PDT 2007

The political circus that has pitched it's tent in Washington over the
firing of US Attorneys is a great diversion from the Iraq War
supplemental funding bill.   However, we should not lose site of two
important issues.

First, that there is not question that the motivation in the firing of
these specific US DA's was politically motivated.  Documents released so
far show that the criteria for being a "good" DA was "loyalty to the
President", not loyalty to the US Constitution.

It is also clear that California's Republican Congressmen were after the
scalp of USDA Carol Lam for not paying enough attention to the
prosecution of "criminal alien."  Maybe that was because she was
prosecuting criminal Republican Congressmen.  It is ironic that one of
the signatories of a letter to Attorney General Gonzales was "Duke"
Cunningham. (Text of letter is here:
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/docs/duke-lam-letter/?resultpage=1&)

The second point is that the presidential offer, to allow Karl Rove to
discuss the issue with the House and Senate committees behind closed
doors, not under oath and with no transcript, indicates that they do not
want the public to know what is going on.  I have seen most of the major
media, including ABC's Diane Sawyer this AM, frame the question (To Tony
Snow-job) as "if you have nothing to hide, why won't they testify under
oath?"  I would rather she had said that the public has a right to know
what is going on.  Public testimony would show how every single action
by anyone in Washington is decided not by it's moral correctness, or
even by whether is is good the the country, but strictly by the single
criteria of what political advantage can we gain by doing this.

--

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing.
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.