[Sosfbay-discuss] YOU should run for Congress

Mark Johnson original.patriot at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 24 19:06:17 PDT 2007

I'm thinking I will.  Why don't you?  Or run for
something or other. The GPSCC *needs* to field solid
candidates all up and down the slate and most
certainly against at *least* Eshoo (my target),
Lofgren (Roy Nordblum's target) and Honda (Merriam is
looking for someone).  Maybe we can let Jerry McNerney
off the hook for now, but the rest *must* go.

And hey, if we can get multiple candidates and have
some primary action, all the better.  That way we can
hold debates against each other, even if the incumbent
Dems won't come out of their spider holes.
Furthermore if good progressive Peace & Freedom, Dems,
Repubs, Libertarians, independent, etc. candidates
rise to the occasion, all the better.  It'll set a
progressive tone for the debate and increase the
chances of ousting the toady Dems.

Impeach for Peace!

Mark Johnson
(AKA Drew)

Here's an inspirational blog explaining why You should
run for Congress.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/2/19/22550/9226

YOU should run for Congress
by WI Deadhead
Sat Feb 19, 2005 at 07:55:00 PM PDT
Now that you have read the other diaries and worked up
a good head of steam, I want to tell you how to
relieve that pressure before your head explodes.  RUN
FOR CONGRESS.  Fact:  In 2004 there were 34 incumbents
that had NO OPPONENT.  Add that nearly 100% of
incumbents win their race and we get a turnover rate
lower than that of just about any tin horn
dictatorship's rubber stamp body.  Below the fold I'll
give more persuasion and some concrete suggestions for
getting started.

    * WI Deadhead's diary :: ::
*

In 2000 I ran an "unwinnable" race against a powerful,
entrenched incumbent.  I had a staff of exactly one
(me), worked a fulltime job that was 40 miles outside
my district boundary, spent less than $10,000 (almost
none of it my own) and still managed to pull in almost
26% of the vote.  83,000+ people chose an unknown
alternative because they were so fed up with their
representative.  When I decided to throw my hat into
the ring, I had four main thoughts.

   1. I believe every race should be contested.  Even
if you run against your own party in a primary, it is
a way of ensuring accountability.  People often told
me, "I like his positions on issues."  My response
was, "How do you know?  He has had no reason to go on
the record for ANYTHING."  He certainly has votes that
show his tendencies, but he can explain the same vote
in 20 different ways, depending on who he is talking
to.  A campaign is a way to get them on the record so
that future battles will have clear starting points.
I know he is in favor of executing children, against
clean water and in favor of establishing a theocracy.
But I want him to say so publicly.  The same thing is
gained by running against your party in a primary if
they will be unopposed in the general.  Make them go
on the record in favor of the things you are in favor
of.

   2. Marketing to future voters is key to long term
progress.  How much would it cost to market your party
to every voter?  $0 if you are on the ballot.  Imagine
an 18 year old walking in the booth for their very
first vote.  Maybe they haven't paid that much
attention but they think they are going to vote for a
Democrat.  And the line is blank.  They will start to
question the viability and validity of that party.  If
you allow one party rule, it makes it that much harder
to gain any ground.  In my town there was the
President, a Senate race, Me and then... a slew of
races with only one party represented.  I am proud to
say I was representing my values.

   3. What if the incumbent dies?  Gets arrested the
week before the election?  The national Republicans
get found out as the cheaters they are with a major
scandal?  If nobody is on the ballot, it doesn't
matter how long the coat tails are, it is just a
wasted opportunity.  Possible sources of votes are
compulsive ticket splitters, first time voters,
anti-incumbents, underdog rooters, ... not just the
true believers.

   4. Respect for the office.  What an unopposed
candidate signifies is that nobody thinks the office
is important.  My guy said something like this in
1998:  "I represent my district very well.  Everybody
agrees with me, that is why nobody ran against me."
NOBODY should get it without at least token
opposition.

You get to meet new people and hear their ideas for
improving society, appear in almanacs for posterity,
pad your resume, and spout off on any subject you care
to mention (I hit on opposition to the death penalty,
pointing out financial conflicts of interest in voting
records, racial profiling by police and the courts,
support for Industrial Hemp production, and a desire
for improvements in health care).

If you are interested, start by checking with your
state elections board for qualifications and ballot
access requirements.  Attend your local party meetings
and get some moral support.  Make a website and stock
it with your favorite philosophies.  If you get on the
ballot, you have a guaranteed platform to shout out
your message.  It may not be covered closely, but
there are lots of places that will post it for free.
I had one hour on public radio with callers, and one
televised debate.  Maybe a small audience, but perhaps
I was able to touch one person who will go on to make
a difference.  I can dream.  It is not too soon to
start for 2006, take a chance and make a contribution
you can be proud of.