[Sosfbay-discuss] McKinney on possible Green run

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Tue May 29 10:16:08 PDT 2007

 Dear Green Friends,

I am disappointed with this statement by Cynthia McKinney.  Frankly, I do not know why Cynthia is being so coy
about this.  I can't believe that after all she has been through she's still mulling a "relationship" with the Democratic Party.

Get a divorce, Cynthia!

Each individual must travel her or his own path and we all understand this.  Nevertheless, at this stage of the game I am starting to get impatient even with some people inside the Greens who can't quite get their brains around the fact that WE ARE an independent political party.  I fear that some of our messy internal disputes have something to do with people thinking of us as an "interest group" rather than a "political party."  If you are an "interest group" then you fight like hell over policy details because influencing policy is the main thing interests groups do.  Thus, for example, when I was active with the San Jose Peace Center, we had intense debates over how to handle the Palestinian-Israeli question.  Early in the war we had fights over the relationship of the San Jose Peace Center with International A.N.S.W.E.R.  Those fights were painful but necessary because, after all, agitating for peace is the main work of a peace center.

On the other hand, if you are a "political party", then recruiting and training good candidates, contesting elections, framing your differences with the other guys, and ACTUALLY GOVERNING is the main thing.  If you are the Green Party it's not important that some people like bicycles and some people like electric cars.  The main thing is getting people into office committed to breaking the addiction to oil.

For six months I've been saying "It's too early to talk about 2008!"  Well, as we go into a summer of heavy politicking it is no longer too early.   I like Cynthia McKinney so I guess I need to write her a letter urging her to quit the Democrats, register Green, and make a commitment to the Green Party. I would like her to come back to Los Angeles and campaign for Daniel Brezenoff in California's 37th Congressional District.

Get a divorce, Cynthia!

Alex Walker