[Sosfbay-discuss] Read This & Weep - CINDY SHEEHAN

Curt Wechsler wechslertoo at earthlink.net
Tue May 29 13:08:54 PDT 2007

'I'm not giving up,' Sheehan tells radio host Schultz
05/29/2007 @ 2:09 pm
Filed by David Edwards and Muriel Kane

http://tinyurl.com/ywl79s

On Tuesday, peace activist Cindy Sheehan appeared on The Ed Schultz Show to
talk about her recent declaration that she is leaving the anti-war movement.

 Sheehan starts off the radio interview sounding tired and dispirited. She
explains that she has kept pushing herself because "I can't say no,
especially when people are dying" but that the recent failure of the
Democrats to vote against the war caused her to conclude, "I think I've
gone as far as I can in this movement."

Sheehan's tone then becomes stronger and more positive as she looks to the
future, making it clear that she is not giving up activism. She says,
"We're gonna see what other direction we can come at it, because obviously
the direction that we're going has stopped being effective. ... We're gonna
close up the factory, we're gonna retool, and we're gonna see how we can
come at this problem from a different angle."

Sheehen's strongest criticism is directed at the Democratic Party. She
says, "It's all about the presidential elections, it's all about politics.
And the Democrats have to stop being careful and stop playing politics with
human flesh and blood and they're going to have to be courageous. ... If
we're gonna get a Democrat in the White House that acts like a Republican,
what's the difference?"

It is clear from the interview that Sheehan hopes that as she stands down,
millions more anti-war activists will stand up. "I'm not giving up," she
concludes, promising to announce her new campaign within the next two
months.