[Sosfbay-discuss] Sample Phone Script to Contact Greens About Save BAREC -- Comments Welcome

WB4D23 at aol.com WB4D23 at aol.com
Thu Nov 29 11:27:29 PST 2007

MODEL SCRIPT AND NOTES FOR BAREC CAMPAIGN
TELEPHONE  CALLS

Below is a model telephone script to invite GPSCC members to  volunteer and
donate to the Save BAREC No on Measures A and B campaign.   This is an outline
for talking points, but remember to be yourself when you  leave a voicemail
message or talk to someone.

Please keep track of all responses or non-responses and  provide that
information
to Warner Bloomberg (e.g., wrong number; moved; or  volunteers information).
This is an experiment to try to contact people who  usually don’t hear from
us, to ask them to help with the referenda campaign, and  to update our
registered Greens information..
TELEPHONE  "SCRIPT" FOR SAVE BAREC CONTACTS / SANTA CLARA GREENS

Hello:  Is _ (Name of Person)_there (or at  home)?

[If voicemail; start here after "Hello".]
I'm calling to  ask [name of person] to help the Save BAREC campaign for
No votes on  Measures A and B in Santa Clara in the February 5th election.
The  Green Party of Santa Clara County has endorsed the Save BAREC campaign
and we  are asking our members to get involved by posting lawn signs,
distributing  leaflets, making phone calls, donating money and voting NO on Measures A
and  B.

[Next: If talking to someone.]
Would you be willing to help  the campaign to save this open space?
[Continue or give closing information  depending on response.]

[Next: If voicemail or another person is taking  message.]
You can reach the campaign by calling 888-227-3280 or at _www.barec.org_
(http://www.barec.org)

Answers  To Some Frequently Asked Questions:  (If you are asked a question
you  can’t answer, write it down and tell the person you will try to have
someone
call back with the information.  Be sure to get the question,  and person’s
name
and telephone number to someone for the call back, or do it  yourself after
getting
the information.)

How did you get this telephone number?
Answer:  All  political parties are allowed to get a copy of
the registered voters list  and use it to contact its members.

What does “BAREC” mean?
Bay Area Research and Extension  Center -- about 17 acres of open space near
Winchester and Stevens Creek  Boulevards near the southern boundary of the
City of Santa Clara -- used for  agricultural research by the University of
California until it was declared  “surplus property” available for sale.  City of
Santa Clara activists  challenged the general plan amendment and rezoning
decisions by getting enough  signatures to force a vote on whether a market rate
housing development should  be built over this open space.  The Green Party of
Santa Clara County has  endorsed the Save BAREC campaign since March 2005.
You can find more  information at the education page at _www.SaveBAREC.org_
(http://www.SaveBAREC.org) .

What if I want to make a campaign donation?
There is a  Paypal button at _www.barec.org_ (http://www.barec.org)  if you
want to  pay by credit card.
Or you can send a check made payable to SaveBAREC PAC, at  PO Box 1029, Santa
Clara, CA 95052, but in either case California law requires  that you provide
your address, occupation and employer name.

Do I have to live in Santa Clara?  Only to vote NO on  Measures A and B.  If
you have friends who might be interested in helping  with the campaign, please
share this information.

What else is the local Green Party doing?  We are working  on a candidates
event for one of the Green Party presidential candidates on  December 15th.  We
hold our monthly business meeting on the first Thursday  of the month at the
San Jose Peace Center.  We have two local chapters that  hold other meetings.
Some of our me,bers are very involved in impeachment  and anti-war rallies.
[Ask:  What kinds of Green Party things would  you be interested in helping
with?]
The local webpage is at  cagreens.org/sclara

What are Green Party positions on ballot measures on the  February Election?
The state party is expected to announce its positions in  early  January.