[Sosfbay-discuss] [Fwd: [G-C-F] Canada seems to have a Green Member of Parliament now...]

Tian Harter tnharter at aceweb.com
Sat Aug 30 23:18:31 PDT 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [G-C-F] Canada seems to have a Green Member of Parliament now...
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 21:11:16 -0700
From: Tian Harter <tnharter at aceweb.com>
To: Green CA forum <cal-forum at cagreens.org>

http://www.greenparty.ca/en/releases/30.08.2008

Elizabeth May welcomes Blair Wilson as first Green Party MP
OTTAWA – Green Party leader Elizabeth May is welcoming MP Blair Wilson
to the Green Party as the first Green Member of Parliament in Canada.
Mr. Wilson, MP for West Vancouver—Sunshine Coast—Sea to Sky Country,
will serve in the Green Party Shadow Cabinet.

"Today we make history," said Ms. May. "I am grateful for Mr. Wilson's
principled belief that the Green Party deserves a voice in Parliament
and for his firm commitment to democracy. With a Green MP sitting in the
House of Commons, it will now be impossible to exclude the Green Party
from the televised leaders' debates in the next election.

"I am also pleased that Mr. Wilson has agreed to join our Shadow Cabinet
as Immigration Critic. As a past member of the House of Commons
Immigration Committee, he is well-qualified for this role and brings
expertise to this position that will prove invaluable to the Green Party."

Mr. Wilson has served as an Independent MP since autumn of 2007.
"Not only do I embrace the policies of my new party, I will feel that
all my past difficulties are justified if, by my actions, I can make a
real difference by ensuring Elizabeth May is included in the leaders'
debates," said Mr. Wilson. "There is a democracy deficit in Canadian
politics and this is one step in restoring effective democracy in Canada.

"Democracy is threatened when legitimate national leaders are barred
from what is arguably the single most important political event in an
election – the televised debates. It is shocking that the Green Party
was excluded from the debates in the past, but by joining the Green
Party, I can help guarantee that this travesty will not be repeated in
the next election.

"More now than ever before, it is critical that the voice of the Green
Party is heard. I am looking forward to working hard as Canada's first
Green MP."

--
Tian
http://tian.greens.org

Tian
http://tian.greens.org
Canada now has a Green Member of Parliament, according to this:
http://www.greenparty.ca/en/releases/30.08.2008