[Sosfbay-discuss] [Fwd: no GP ballot at a polling place]

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Thu Feb 7 09:55:08 PST 2008

FYI.  Here is another example of the "poor planning" type of error.  In
Alameda County, it was for Independents.  Here, for Greens, etc.

In general, I do not think that elections officials around the state
were prepared for the size of the turnout in a primary election.  I
think that this owes very much to the excitement that has been
engendered by the Obama campaign.  Election officials are caught between
having to adhere to ever shrinking budgets and being prepared for any
contingency.  It is reasonable to expect them to get it wrong some of
the time.

One of the reasons that elections officials around the country liked the
idea of computerized, touch-screen  voting, is the fact that it would
keep them from every having to be in this bind.  If they every figure
out the proper way to get it right on touch-screen voting, then they
should be very, very happy.