[Sosfbay-discuss] Running for president vs. Training the next progressive generation

Edward the_alliance47 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 23:04:22 PST 2008

Nobody has been elected to the presidency past the age of 70. I'm not saying that it is not possible, but how many more times can Nader run for office? Once he goes off to hang out with the Founding Fathers, who is going to take up the fight against corporate America?

Here we have Cynthia McKinney, who has potential to really help move the party forward after Ralph has moved on, but there doesn't seem to be much joint effort between the two of them. I really admire Ralph Nader, but we're looking at the next ten months when we should also be looking at the next ten years.

Should we even be focusing on the presidential race? In 2006, we ran a candidate for governor in Illinois and he pulled more than the 10% threshold needed to retain ballot access. If we can do that for more states, we'd actually have a base we can depend on rather than essentially starting from scratch every four years in 20+ states.

Do we have an updated list of which states we have ballot access and the other information that is currently listed at http://web.greens.org/statestatus/