[Sosfbay-discuss] voter registration vs homeland security

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 30 16:53:35 PDT 2008

1)  up to 10,000 new citizens to be sworn in in August in Santa Clara County
    at two large ceremonies at the county fairgrounds
    If I understood correctly that will be on Thursday August 7-th and
    Thursday August 14-th  (personal communication from Soccoro McCord)

2)  Homeland Security has changed a regulation affecting procedures at
    swearing ceremonies claiming congestion resulting in a drop in
registrations.
    reported in the Mercury News of July  19-th
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_9931998?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com
    *http://tinyurl.com/5zjf2v
    *reported in the Mercury News of July 19-th

3)  thus we have an opportunity to distribute voter registration forms
    to those being sworn in as they arrive