[Sosfbay-discuss] So Much For Our 'Conversation' About Race

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Thu May 1 18:34:14 PDT 2008

See below a link to my blog post on the latest Jeremiah Wright thing.?

Alex Walker
Los Angeles Greens

?

So
Much For Our 'Conversation' On Race

by Alex Walker

Posted on Green Commons, May 1, 2008

?

?

View full size

When everybody started saying "Let's have a conversation
about race", I wrote a blog post saying "No, Let's Not." (see on
Green Commons Let's
Talk About Race? NO! Let's Not on January 26th). My first post was a
reaction to Uzodinma Iweala's Op-Ed in the Los Angeles Times, "Racism
in 'Post Racial' America" (with 'post racial' in quotes) criticizing
the "media-concocted fiction" that "not speaking about race is
the equivalent of making progress."

I still say: No! No! No!

?

.?
.? .

?

Every time this produces a net gain for
conservatives by reminding "Reagan Democrats" why they abandoned the
party of F.D.R. for the party of George Bush.

?

If I am the only African-American progressive
opposing this farce, so be it. U.S. politics has been stuck in this rut for
more than thirty years and it is very hard to resist being pulled into it. I,
like Barack, allowed myself to get suckered into defending Wright.

?

One reason I left the Democrats and joined the Green
Party was because I am one African-American sick of "race"
games. If Barack sincerely wanted to "transform" U.S. politics, it's
already clear he cannot within the framework of our cursed Democrat-Republican
politics where "social issues" always substitute for bringing up hard
questions offending corporate interests. The Boston Globe editorial
was more honest than most in Rev.
Wright, the sequel: "The Illinois senator has made a career... of
promoting common understanding among those who might distrust each other. To
see those efforts bogging down in the same old swamp is just depressing."

?

That's the depressing "swamp" of
Democratic-Republican politics.

?