[Sosfbay-discuss] Darfur Rally, was ...[Fwd: visa rally: bring the olympic dream to Darfur]

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Sat May 10 13:33:42 PDT 2008

Visa Rally: Bring the Olympic Dream to Darfur

China's involvement in the Darfur genocide is that of a complicit
economic accomplice. China invests large amounts of capital in
developing oil pipelines in the Sudan, of which the profit goes almost
entirely to the government's funding of the genocide. It has also been
shown that China has sold arms to the Sudanese Government – arms used
against the innocent people of Darfur.

With the Beijing Olympics coming up, there is no better time to put
international pressure on China to adopt better foreign policy on
these issues. The best way to reach the Chinese government is through
the corporate sponsors of the Beijing Olympics – that is why we are
targeting Visa USA, Inc. Their economic necessity for the Olympics
makes them a valuable tool of leverage with China.

Within the next couple of weeks, there will be a series of
demonstrations held across the nation, each focusing on a different
corporate sponsor of the 2008 Olympics, one of which is directed at
Visa USA, Inc.  At their headquarters, located in San Francisco, on
Friday, May 16th, we will make our voices heard, because there are
Darfurians who have no other voice than ours.  Join us in asking Visa
to take the initiative on this issue, and directly contact both the
Chinese government and the International Olympic Committee, to insist
that China change its policy on Darfur.

There will be a series of speakers and activists who will speak about
the current situation in Darfur and our call to action.  Come raise
your voice!

Visa Headquarters
123 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
Friday, May 16
4 P.M

Contact Zohreh at 408-580-6394 or visarally.cod at gmail.com if you are
interested in participating in this rally.  We hope to see you there!