[Sosfbay-discuss] Prius Owner? FYI - Plug-In Kits Available & Discounted...

Andrea Dorey andid at cagreens.org
Wed May 21 13:08:37 PDT 2008

Join EAA (Electric Auto Association) and get a 10% discount on your
plug-in kit to make your Prius hybrid a part-time electric car.
Forty miles without using gas ain't bad if you realize that most of
us don't go more than that to get to work and back.  And it can be
plugged into your house at night for off-hours cheeeeap electricity!

Forget Toyota and its claim that "more research is needed" before
anyone can make a plug-in hybrid!  (There are far more than seven
plug-in Priuses that have been running around the Bay Area for
several years with "100+ mpg" on their sides!)  Learn the truth about
hybrids and electric cars from the EAA engineer-members and other
techies who know what's what.  Bay Area member Will Becket reported
the results of a EAA member survey that showed that 8.5 million miles
have been driven by members and their all-electrics just on
California roads since the ZEV mandate.  EAA's newsletter (May 2008)
also took on the erroneous recent report by USA Today that plug-in
hybrids could cause more "deadly air pollution" than the non-plug-
ins. (I will lend copies to interested Greens.)

Many EAA members have only a hybrid.  Some have an all-electric
Toyota RAV-4 and many have a converted-to-electric stock car like the
Rampage pickup truck.  Club members are good sources of info and are
friendly to new members' questions, even from non-techie types like
me!  The cars show up at every meeting for inspection and for
chatting with the owners.  See www.eaaev.org for meeting locations,
to drop and get acquainted?

If you're interested in how pricey an upgrade would be, the complete
plug-in system for the Prius is $6,095 plus shipping.  It uses the
well-known and longtime-tested CalCars Basic Control board.  Check
out www.pluginsupply.com for a quick look-see.

A plug-in kit for a used Prius may be the next step I take from my
hybrid Insight, with an eye on owning an all-electric car (soon, I
hope).
Andrea