[Sosfbay-discuss] [Fwd: [G-C-F] GPCA position on initiatives]

Tian Harter tnharter at aceweb.com
Thu Sep 25 00:36:15 PDT 2008

The summary:

No position on 1.

Yes on 2, 5, 12.

No on 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [G-C-F] GPCA position on initiatives
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:12:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: bea tiritilli <tiritilligreen at sbcglobal.net>
To: cal-forum <cal-forum at cagreens.org>,

What follows is the ROUGH DRAFT text of what I'll be passing out at the
GPOC general meeting in October. Based on my notes and memory, it's a
summary of why we chose to to back certain ballot initiatives. If any
plenary delegates cc'd on this list want to add their two cents about
why we voted as we did, please do so ASAP. (When we reached consensus
right away, I didn't necessarilly have time to write why in my notes.)

Thanks,
Béa Tiritilli

GPCA POSITIONS ON NOVEMBER, 2008's BALLOT INITIATIVES
DECIDED AT AUGUST, 2008 PLENARY

•	Prop 1, High Speed Rail Bond: No vote recommendation as consensus not
reached. Arguments against include that it’s a land grab designed to aid
rich investors; arguments for include that it promotes public
transportation and will help the environment.
•	Prop. 2, Treatment of Farm Animals: Vote yes. Supported by GPCA's
Animal Farming and Ethical Treatment of Animals platforms.*
•	Prop. 3, Children's Hospital Bond: Vote no. This type of bond is not
sustainable, as future taxpayers will have to pay nearly $1 of interest
for every $1 of principal paid to construct these hospitals.*
•	Prop. 4, Parental Notification for Under-18 abortions: Vote no.
Supported by GPCA's Reproductive Rights Platform.*
•	Prop. 5, Nonviolent Offenders Sentencing and Rehabilitation: Vote yes.
Supported by GPCA's Social Justice platform.*
•	Prop. 6, Anti-Gang Penalties (Runner initiative): Vote no. Money can
be better used to fund social-justice programs supported by GPCA's
platform.*
•	Prop. 7, Renewable Energy Requirements For Utilities: Vote no.
Overcomplicated legislation which is opposed by several labor and
environmental groups.
•	Prop. 8, Same Sex Marriage Ban:  Vote no. Supported by GPCA's Sexual
Orientation, Gender Identity, and Gender Expression platform.*
•	Prop. 9, Victims' Rights, Reduction of Parole Hearings: Vote no.
Supported by GPCA's Social Justice platform.*
•	Prop. 10, Alternative Fuel Vehicles and Renewable Energy Bond: Vote
no. This initiative amounts to taxpayer funded corporate welfare.*
•	Prop. 11, Redistricting: Vote no. Favors the two-party system.
•	Prop. 12: Veterans' Bond. Vote yes. This is a necessary housing
benefit for veterans who will repay these bonds.

* position passed unanimously via consensus process

For more info. on The Green Party of California's platform, please visit
http://www.cagreens.org/platform

Tian
http://tian.greens.org
Latest: Added an Alaska change picture.
I still have about 286 "POWER TO THE PEOPLE - McKinney 2008" stickers.