[Sosfbay-discuss] NYT Editorial Calls for Impeachment of Judge Bybee

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 19 12:09:51 PDT 2009

     Bybee was John Yoo's boss.

    The editorial, entitled "The Torturers’ Manifesto" calls the four recently-released
memos "a journey into depravity.... like the plot of a mob film.... [A]s far as Mr. Bush’s
lawyers were concerned, it was not really torture
unless it involved breaking bones,
burning flesh or pulling teeth."

    It says that until we get to the bottom of Bush lawlessness--not just torture,
but the wiretaps too, "there is no hope of fixing a profoundly broken system of
justice
and ensuring that that these acts are never repeated."

   It says investigations should start with Yoo, Bybee, and Steven Bradbury.

    "Mr. Bybee is unfit for a job that
requires legal judgment and a respect for the
Constitution. Congress
should impeach him. And if the administration will not conduct
thorough investigation of these issues, then Congress has a
constitutional duty to
hold the executive branch accountable. If that
means putting Donald Rumsfeld and
Alberto Gonzales on the stand, even
Dick Cheney, we are sure Americans can handle
it.

    "After eight years without transparency or accountability, Mr.
Obama promised
the American people both. His decision to release
these memos was another sign of
his commitment to transparency. We
are waiting to see an equal commitment to
accountability."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/opinion/19sun1.html?_r=1

    While I celebrate the Times's outrage, it's a bit late in coming.  It reminds me of
Captain Renault's line "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!"
For too many years it seemed that the only ones willing to take a stand were the ACLU,
Amnesty Int'l, and the Communists.  The news media have a lot to be accountable for,
too.  Heads need to roll.

   ACLU released this shocking table in 2005!  Where was the Times then?

http://action.aclu.org/torturefoia/released/102405/