[Sosfbay-discuss] Agenda for 2/4/09 meeting

Drew Johnson JamBoi at Greens.org
Thu Feb 5 06:24:44 PST 2009

I'm sorry Fred, but I have to reiterate some things because I believe
you've distorted some events.

Fred In the desire to welcome a new person (which I have too) I think
you're bending over backwards to accommodate his bad behavior.  To wit...

I believe that far from 'wrongheaded', my concerns about David's
autocratic nature are right on the money and this was again shown last
night when he walked out (was it in disgust?) immediately after HIS topic
was complete.   And by the way I think he completely wasted our time with
by using his time to again attack me instead of either  reporting on the
event and how it is proceeding -- isn't that what his time was alloted
for??? but we heard next to nothing about that!!!  (ah but that would be
accountability and it appears he doesn't want accountability to anyone but
himself) .

By walking out when he did he left questions in my and other people's
minds: Does he only care about HIS event???  Does he only care about
getting HIS way???  And when he doesn't get satisfaction does he then walk
out??? It certainly looked that way.  More autocratic and obstinant
behavior I'm afraid.   And yes I DO think this behavior NEEDS to be
confronted -- maybe gentler than I did, but nevertheless yes by all means
confront it.

Yes, I will stand firm in characterizing David Ledesma's response to being
questioned about why the VfP folks had such an overwhelmingly negative
reaction to being involved in anything he was participating in as an
'atack' on me.  Instead of addressing the question of why they might feel
so negatively  way and and why the rejected coalitional participation with
him he tried to turn the tables on me and just attacked me!  Frankly it
seemed to me to be just an ego defense mechanism of someone in denial.
Instead of addressing the question just attack the questioner.

And IMO Fred is WAY underplaying the harsh response the VfPers had to
David Ledesma.  If we want to go to them and ask their opinion, I'm
certain we'll get an earful!  As a matter of a fact I think we need to do
just that.  Let's ask them about their experience with David Ledesma and
why they are so adamantly opposed to being a part of something he
particpates in.  Could it be that his past behavior with them has so
turned them off that they will now have nothing to do with him?  Let's
ask!

At no point did he EVER say ANYTHING addressing about why the VfP folks
are so down on him, not that night, not since.  Or what we could do to
mend those fences so that we could count on the VfP's support in the
coalition.   Nada.  That was the whole point I was trying to ask him about
so that we could see whether that situation could be improved and whether
he was willing to operate within a Green check and balance situation.  As
far as I was concerned by his actions he failed that measure.   My concern
level over whether he is an obstinate

Secondly I didn't infer that David has ill intent towards the Green Party
and TRYING to disrupt us.  Ill intent doesn't really matter.  Like Cameron
I don't think trying to guess people's intent is at all useful.  I see
people as black boxes and not only are we unable to dicern motivation, I
see that many times people can't figure out themselves why they do what
they do.  So I don't try to guess their intent or motivation.  Its the
behavior and the effect that we CAN and MUST judge if we are to maintain
integrity of the party.

What I was driving at was that it is irresponsible of leaders in the Green
Party if we do not maintain vigilance about we we empower to lead us.  It
is a universally bad idea that defies common sense to give too much power
to someone just entering the party.  A newcomer, no matter how marvelous,
can not possible understand our culture (or that of ANY group for that
matter).  It is only common sense that a newcomer not be empowered too
quickly before they've been shown the lay of the land and before the group
has confirmed how the person operates is in alignment with our 10 Key
Values.  THAT's what I was saying.

And so when David essentially put across the vibe in his very first
meeting that he ever attends that what the Green Party really needed was
an extreme makeover that HE would be happy to give it (in HIS image), yeah
I do have be concerned about where this person is coming from.  And THEN
when his followup behavior looks VERY AUTOCRATIC, yeah that WILL TRIGGER
MY RADAR and raise concerns about whether he can operate within our
values.  And yeah, I will act in those circumstance to PROTECT THE PARTY
as any leader of the party should do.

At LEAST one of the County Councilors voiced frustration that David
Ledesma was allowed to take up soooooooooooo much of the time in the
December meeting.  After all, we don't even know if he's a member yet!!!
As I said above, any sane group simply does NOT HAND OVER MUCH POWER TO A
NEWCOMER, ESPECIALLY WHEN WE DON'T KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT THEM.  PERIOD.  I
count it as OUR mistake that we allowed an unconfirmed member (or possibly
nonmember) to even make a proposal let alone take up such a tremendous
amount of our General Meeting time.    We should have had an active Green
Party Member (and neither David nor Valerie qualified at the December
meeting) -- in other words a Green who actually has the standing, whom we
know and trust -- to make any proposal to be made.  Our mistake!

Then again it terms of taking up tremendous amounts of our time he did it
again last night.  Instead of reporting on the David Ledesma Stop
Recruiting Kids event he spent his time trying to whip up a mob to come
after me!  We never did get to hear much about that event!!! Alarm bells
go off for many of us when we see this kind of behavior from a newcomer.

Again mostly I fault US for not handing the situation in a way that would
have saved everyone pain.  We fell down by not having an active Green
Party member give any proposal that was to be made, but 2) not summarizing
in one or two sentences what proposal we were consensing on (so now we all
have different understandings of what we consensed to (and I was the
notetaker that evening so I myself would have done better to insist in the
moment that we have a concise version of the proposal (not merely David's
rambling 3 or 4 pages which rambled which covered many topics about his
what I'll term 'extreme makeover of the party in his image').  IMO on many
different levels WE BLEW IT.  In the end its not the newcomers fault that
the party doesn't handle itself well.  Its OUR FAULT.

We can do better and we will.  We can create better informational
exchanges whereby we orient newcomers to all our unique ways.  We can put
sane limits on who has standing to make a proposal to the General Meeting.
 We can put sane limits on who and how rapidly we empower newcomers to
enter into positions of service and not put someone off the street
immediately into a place where they haven't been trained for.  We can
spell out that we require gender balanced CoChairs of any Green Party
committee or if its a coalitional effort what our guidelines are for how
they operate and the democracy they need to entail.  Etc. These are all
things WE CAN AND MUST DO IF WE ARE GOING TO MATURE AS A PARTY AND BECOME
AN EFFECTIVE ORGANIZATION.  Si Se Puede!  Yes we can!

Green is Accountability!

Drew