[Sosfbay-discuss] F.Y.I. Special Election - California Senate District 26

Ray Tobey green at bionictoad.com
Wed Mar 25 23:10:48 PDT 2009

Alex,

A premiere author
<http://www.amazon.com/Influence-Psychology-Persuasion-Robert-Cialdini/dp/0688128165>
on the psychology of persuasion conducted an experiment with important
implications for political campaigns.

Most of us have been in hotel rooms where a little card asks us to
participate in a conservation program. Instead of having the staff wash
the towels everyday, the card suggests that we reuse towels a couple of
times like we often do at home. Towels on the floor will be washed,
those hanging on the rack will not.

The job of the psychologist was to figure out what to say on the card to
get people to participate. He tried 4 versions of the pitch:

   1. Do this for the environment.
   2. Do this for our children.
   3. Do this to save money.

These arguments got between 20 and 30% compliance, each. The final
version of the card said:

   4. Do this because the majority of hotel guests do it.

This argument got 45% compliance.

It is called the psychology of social proof - humans often do not
evaluate an argument on its merits. Instead, we observe people around us
for clues about how to behave. This pattern appears in many
circumstances. For example, we might go out to dinner where two
restaurants are side by side. If one is quiet and nearly empty but the
other full and boisterous, most of us choose the full one because we
assume our neighbors know where good food is or because this is where
the trendy crowd eats.

Social proof is one of six motivators of persuasion that psychologists
have identified.

When you say observe that the winner never answered a serious question,
you imply that serious questions are relevant to the electoral process.
I don't think so. You write that California gives bonuses to the worst
legislators. That may be true, but I believe that legislative
performance has almost nothing to do with such decisions.

We Greens have been arguing serious questions for many years. We talk
about legislation, issues, platform, principles. We sound like the first
3 versions of the social proof experiment, and our election results
confirm what the psychologists have been saying for many years. /These
arguments are not persuasive./

In this special election, only 6.16% of those registered
<http://rrcc.co.la.ca.us/elect/09031288/rr1288pb.html-ssi> actually cast
a ballot. I could use the district voter roll as case study in
targeting. I would examine these questions:

   1. Which 6% voted?
   2. How does their psychology differ from the other 94%?
   3. What changes not the thinking, but the behavior of these voters?
   4. Which tactics should a campaign apply to the various groups?

You wrote about campaign organization and there aren't many advocates
more committed to that than I am. However, I suggest that a thorough
understanding of political sociology is far more important. Among its
implications are methods for building strong campaign organizations.

I wouldn't presume to say that I have the answers. Asking the right
questions is the part I'm working on.

I hope my comments are constructive in addition to lengthy,
- Ray