[Sosfbay-discuss] Accountability News: Harry Reid, CIA IG Report Release Soon, Statute of Limitations

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Tue May 12 01:44:52 PDT 2009

What is wrong with these people?

   Harry Reid, Senate Majority Leader on torture:

   "[W]e we are a nation of law. And that’s why we have to get the facts and
then have people render legal decisions.... [but] the hurdle we have to get
over is whether we want to go after people like Cheney....    There are a lot
of decisions that are made that are right that may not
be absolutely totally
within the framework of law. For example with
President Nixon . . . I mean . . .
should he have been impeached or did
President Ford do the right thing?"

    Jonathan Turley says Reid "refuses to acknowledge the overwhelming
evidence and admissions of
torture as sufficient evidence to submit the
matter to a prosecutor
instead of a Senate committee. Reid attempts to
portray the various
reports and investigations as a 'rush to judgment' and
insists that we
lack the facts."

http://jonathanturley.org/2009/05/10/reid-torture-might-have-been-illegal-but-still-right-thing-to-do/#more-10790

    In other Accountability News, WaPo reveals that staffers of the Senate intelligence
committee are reviewing emails and interviewing interrogators, a "top secret" 2004
CIA inspector general's report is set for release that concludes that many
interrogation techniques violated the UN Convention against Torture, and that they
can't be sure that interrogations have
aided the foiling of specific attacks.  It was
apparently this report that inspired the CIA to ask in May 2005 that Steven Bradbury
write new memos providing legal justification (after the earlier Yoo/Bybee memos had
been rescinded by Jack Goldsmith).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/09/AR2009050902489.html?hpid=moreheadlines

   Finally, Elizabeth de la Vega reassures us that we need not fear time running out on
the statute of limitations for the torture crimes because the conspiracy to commit torture
was still ongoing as of January 20, 2009.

http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/21729

    And Condi admitted to participation in that conspiracy in the Reyna Garcia tape when
she said she passed on orders from Bush to do the enhanced interrogations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijEED_iviTA