[GPSCC-chat] Current reading

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sun Dec 19 09:27:40 PST 2010

Hi, Wes:

       Can you give us a hint of what, if anything, she says about US
involvement in Columbia?

       US involvement in Columbia has been documented elsewhere.  For
example, the meticulously documented McCoy (2003) The Politics of
Heroin:  CIA Complicity in the Global Drug Trade:  Afghanistan,
Southeast Asia, Central America, Columbia (Lawrence Hill Books) strongly
suggests that if drugs were legalized in the US, it could be a great
advance for democracy in many parts of the world, e.g., Columbia,
Afghanistan, Mexico.

       Thanks,
       Spencer
p.s.  Betancourt did NOT get along well with fellow captives from the
US, who claimed she was arrogant, demanding more than her share of
limited food and living space because of her high status.  This may work
in Columbian and French society, but her American fellow captives were
negatively impressed.  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%8Dngrid_Betancourt)

On 12/19/2010 8:52 AM, Wes Rolley wrote:
> It may seem like a rush to judgment, but I will recommend a book for
> all to read after completing less that half of it (220 of 528 pages).
>
> I'm currently reading "Even Silence Has an End" by Ingrid Betancourt.
> You may remember that Betancourt was the Green Party candidate for
> President of Columbia when she was captured and held hostage by the
> FARC.   This book tells of her 6 and a half years of captivity in
> Columbia's jungles and her final rescue.
>
> More that a mere chronicle of events, or a political statement,
> Betancourt has written a spiritual memoir detailing her times of self
> examination and her effort to not merely survive, but to survive with
> her soul intact.
>
> There are 13 copies in the Santa Clara County Library
> <http://sccl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/1423594016_even_silence_has_an_end>
> system and the reserve list is currently at 25.

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Operating Officer
751 Emerson Ct.
San José, CA 95126