[Sosfbay-discuss] [Fwd: Congresswoman Donna Edwards Introduces Constitutional Amendment]

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 2 19:50:27 PST 2010

FYI,

Gerry

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Congresswoman Donna Edwards Introduces Constitutional Amendment
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 22:12:57 +0000
From: "Free Speech for People" <Free_Speech_for_People at mail.vresp.com>
To: gerrygras at earthlink.net

<clip>

[free speech for people.jpg]

Dear Friend,

Thank you for signing the petition to protect our democracy by ensuring
that free speech rights are for people, not corporations.

Twelve days ago, the United States Supreme Court issued a ruling
striking at the heart of our democracy.  The Court disregarded more than
a century of precedent and ruled that our Constitution prevents the
American people from regulating corporate money in our elections and
politics.  That’s wrong and we don’t buy it.

And twelve days ago, we stood up to fight back
<snip>

Thousands of you joined us in our call for a constitutional amendment to
defend our democracy and to restore the First Amendment to its intended
purpose: to protect people, not corporations.

And, today, Congresswoman Donna Edwards of Maryland has introduced a
constitutional amendment to overturn the Court’s ruling.  Joined by
Congressman John Conyers, Jr. of Michigan, the chair of the House
Judiciary Committee, the Edwards amendment will ensure that Congress and
the states may prohibit corporations from spending their funds for
political activity.

<clip>

The Framers of the Constitution intended the First Amendment to protect
the rights of citizens, everyday people, not corporations.  Corporations
are not people. They are artificial entities created by the state with
state-based advantages. In fact, the recent ruling will certainly drown
out the voices of the very citizens the First Amendment was meant to
protect.

We as a nation have amended the United States Constitution before.
Twenty-seven times.  That history includes amendments in response to US
Supreme Court rulings directly threatening the democratic process.  The
Court’s ruling in Citizens United v. FEC demands a similar
constitutional amendment response.

But to do this, we need to build a broad-based democracy movement. You
can help make this happen.

   Ways to Get Involved

     * Forward this email to at least 10 or more of your friends urging
       that they join us and sign the petition
       <snip>
     * Contact your Member of Congress in the House of Representatives
       <snip>
       and United States Senate
       <snip>
     * Organize a local amendment committee.
     * Donate<snip>
       to support this campaign.
     * Follow Free Speech for People on Twitter
       <snip>
       and Facebook
       <snip>
       to receive the latest news on the campaign.
     * CLICK HERE
       <snip>
       to find out other ways to get involved.

Together, we will reclaim our First Amendment and our democracy.

Thank you.

The Free Speech for People Campaign