[GPSCC-chat] National NAACP Convention in Los Angeles

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Tue Jul 26 17:16:41 PDT 2011

 Dear Green Friends,

If you don't know the 102nd national convention of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) is currently underway here in Los Angeles, California.

Friends, I gotta tell you. This is driving me crazy.  It is all corporate.  100% corporate.

The official heading graphic of the convention includes the logos of their top 3 so-called "leading sponsors," that is, those who have donated $250,000 to $300,000.

(See http://www.naacp.org/pages/2011-naacp-convention-sponsors ).

Thus, in the lower right corner you'll see little symbols for Edison International (Southern California Edison), Toyota, and, inside the little red box, Wells Fargo Bank.

Wells Fargo Bank!

Just yesterday, the New York Times published an op-ed piece by Joe Nocera about how even the do-nothing Federal Reserve has issued a "cease-and-desist order against Wells Fargo for predatory lending practices.

Not only that, but just two years ago a lawsuit was filed "accusing Wells Fargo and HSBC of forcing blacks into subprime mortgages while whites with identical qualifications got lower rates."

Pray tell, what organization filed these charges in in federal court in Los Angeles in March 2011?

None other than the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

(See: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/13/naacp-wells-fargo-hsbc-fo_n_174564.html )

As near as I can tell, the only dissenting voices have been a raggedy group called the "South Central Tea Party."

(see http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/22/blackonblack-politics-_n_906758.html).

They say:

"The NAACP is set up as a non-profit organization with the pretense of helping black people get themselves together, but I can clearly see that the NAACP is a political pawn for the liberal elite white racist Democratic party and they are using black Americans for their own personal gain,” said Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson

Behold, our wonderful Two-Party system!  This is supposed to be my "alternative" to the Dems.

* * *

I want to know what the status of Green Party members thinking of running for election in 2012 in California. I know I can't win.  I know I can't raise the kind of money required to run a serious campaign nowadays. I know at age 62 I don't even have the energy required to campaign flat-out for a whole year.  But I just cannot allow these damned Democrats to slide right through another national election leading my city, my state, and my country to perdition with the only dissent from rightwing nuts.

Alex Walker
Los Angeles Greens.