[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: [GPCA Updates] GP RELEASE: US Greens congratulate Elizabeth May, first Green elected to Canadian Parliament

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Wed May 4 18:28:06 PDT 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [GPCA Updates] GP RELEASE: US Greens congratulate Elizabeth
May, first Green elected to Canadian Parliament
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 18:00:16 -0700
From: Green Party of California Updates <updates at cagreens.org>
To: updates at cagreens.org

** Green Party of California Update **

GREEN PARTY OF THE UNITED STATES
http://www.gp.org

For Immediate Release:
Wednesday, May 4, 2011

US Greens congratulate Elizabeth May, first Green elected to Canadian
Parliament

• Green Party Speakers Bureau: Greens available to speak on foreign policy:
http://www.gp.org/speakers/speakers-foreign-policy.php

WASHINGTON, DC -- US Greens enthusiastically congratulated Elizabeth May and
the Green Party of Canada (http://greenparty.ca) on Ms. May's election
victory
on May 2, in which she made Canadian history by becoming her country's first
Green member of Parliament.

Ms. May's election comes a year after Caroline Lucas was elected as the
first
Green member of the British Parliament.  She will represent the Saanich-Gulf
Islands, British Columbia, in Canada's House of Commons.

On May 4, the International Committee (http://www.gp.org/committees/intl) of
the Green Party of the United States sent the following letter to Ms. May:

Elizabeth May, Leader
Green Party of Canada

Dear Elizabeth,

On behalf of the Green Party of the United States, we heartily congratulate
you and Canadian Greens on your historic election to Parliament.  We also
recognize the enormous effort you and your party have made over many years,
persevering to reach this victory. http://www.gp.org/index.php

As we labor under a similar "winner-takes-all" system in the US, your win
gives us hope for a future Green victory at the federal government level
here.

Also, we take this joyous occasion to recall the collaborative efforts
the US
and Canadian Greens have made in the past, such as our 2008 joint
teach-in in
Ottawa opposing the US/Canadian/Mexican  "Security and Prosperity
Partnership"
(SPP).  We look forward to more of this cooperation and to our joint work in
the Federation of the Green Parties of the Americas. (FPVA).

Again, congratulations to you and all your Green colleagues.

Justine McCabe
Marian Douglas-Ungaro
Co-Chairs, International Committee
Green Party of the United States
http://www.gp.org/committees/intl/

MORE INFORMATION

Green Party of the United States http://www.gp.org
202-319-7191, 866-41GREEN
• Green candidate database and campaign information:
http://www.gp.org/elections.shtml
• News Center http://www.gp.org/newscenter.shtml
• Speakers Bureau http://www.gp.org/speakers
• Ballot Access Page http://www.gp.org/ballotstatus
• Livestream Channel http://www.livestream.com/greenpartyus
• Video Page http://www.gp.org/video/index.php

"May breaks through as first Green MP"
The Montreal Gazette, May 3, 2011
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/decision-canada/breaks+through+first+Green/4715011/story.html

'GreenStream Wednesday': News and discussion on the Green Party's Livestream
channel
http://www.livestream.com/greenpartyus

Green Pages: The official publication of record of the Green Party of the
United States (Fall 2010 issue now online)
http://gp.org/greenpages-blog

~ END ~