[GPSCC-chat] S. 1867

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 30 14:13:36 PST 2011

Matthew Rothschild has an article about this:
"McCain says American Citizens Can Be Sent to Guantanamo"

NOTE: The Udall Amendment has been defeated.
About 12 Ds joined the Rs.  Only 1 R joined the Ds.

The text of the bill is at:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/C?c112:./temp/~c112Hb4Vbc
Section 1031 is about 55% of the way down the page.

Because "temp" is in the URL, maybe it is temporary.
So here is Section 1031, below.

========================

Subtitle D--Detainee Matters

SEC. 1031. AFFIRMATION OF AUTHORITY OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED
STATES TO DETAIN COVERED PERSONS PURSUANT TO THE AUTHORIZATION FOR USE
OF MILITARY FORCE.

     (a) In General- Congress affirms that the authority of the
President to use all necessary and appropriate force pursuant to the
Authorization for Use of Military Force (Public Law 107-40) includes the
authority for the Armed Forces of the United States to detain covered
persons (as defined in subsection (b)) pending disposition under the law
of war.

     (b) Covered Persons- A covered person under this section is any
person as follows:

         (1) A person who planned, authorized, committed, or aided the
terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored those
responsible for those attacks.

         (2) A person who was a part of or substantially supported
al-Qaeda, the Taliban, or associated forces that are engaged in
hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners,
including any person who has committed a belligerent act or has directly
supported such hostilities in aid of such enemy forces.

     (c) Disposition Under Law of War- The disposition of a person under
the law of war as described in subsection (a) may include the following:

         (1) Detention under the law of war without trial until the end
of the hostilities authorized by the Authorization for Use of Military
Force.

         (2) Trial under chapter 47A of title 10, United States Code (as
amended by the Military Commissions Act of 2009 (title XVIII of Public
Law 111-84)).

         (3) Transfer for trial by an alternative court or competent
tribunal having lawful jurisdiction.

         (4) Transfer to the custody or control of the person's country
of origin, any other foreign country, or any other foreign entity.

     (d) Construction- Nothing in this section is intended to limit or
expand the authority of the President or the scope of the Authorization
for Use of Military Force.

     (e) Requirement for Briefings of Congress- The Secretary of Defense
shall regularly brief Congress regarding the application of the
authority described in this section, including the organizations,
entities, and individuals considered to be `covered persons' for
purposes of subsection (b)(2).

Gerry