[GPSCC-chat] speaker for January meeting

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 31 16:16:27 PST 2012

perrysandy at aol.com wrote:

> I would not agree to this proposal without knowing who the person is,

Her name is Veronica.

> what groups he or she is a member of,

Working Women 9 to 5

> what proposals he or she is advocating,

amending the California Welfare and Institutions Code to eliminate
withdrawal of either the parental allotment when a dependant under16
old is truant or the dependant's allotment when the dependant is under 16
and truant.  There are other penalties in the Education Code.

> whether he or she is a member of the Green Party,

welfare is non partisan

> . What is our criteria for inviting speakers?

to my knowledge we do not have any formal criteria for speaker selection

> There are about 25,000 people on CalWorks in our County, why this person?

availability, personal experience, articulate

> As I said earlier, I believe our meetings should be short and energetic.

amen brother.  Is this going to be an agenda item?

> That means the speakers we invite should be part of a plan to get
> involved in a particular campaign.

I am not aware of any plans to get involved in any campaign.
We operate in an ad hoc basis endorsing actions, movements, events.