[GPSCC-chat] Agenda for Jan. meeting

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Mon Jan 23 07:41:06 PST 2012

Caroline,
I am copying this to the entire mailing list, as I think it is valuable
information for all.

As you know, the redistricting for 2012 election changes a lot of
things, especially for S. County.  Previously, Gilroy and Morgan Hill
were not in the same district for any office.   Now, they share some,
including the one you referenced.
*
State Senate District:*  It was SD 15 and Republican Sam Blakeslee was
the office holder.  Blakeslee is a moderate Republican in many ways:
against nuclear energy as unsafe... especially Diablo Canyon... and he
understands climate change. He is also a strong supporter of education
measures and refused to sign the Norquist no-tax pledge.   However,
Blakeslee has said that he will not run if the new districting stands a
court test, since the Republican / Democrat registration numbers now
favor Democrats.  No new Republican challenger has come forward.   The
one announced Democrat is current Santa Cruz (and Morgan Hill)
Assemblyman, Bill Monning.

The new district includes all of Santa Cruz and San Luis Obispo
Countries, plus parts of Monterey and Santa Clara Counties.  Santa Clara
portion is Morgan Hill, San Martin, Gilroy.  Monterey  portion is
Monterey, Pacific Grove, etc. but not Salinas.

It is my opinion that the best chance for a Green would come from San
Luis Obispo County if one is going to run.
*
State Assembly Districts:*  Morgan Hill is currently in State Assembly
District 27 with Santa Cruz County.  It is the only part of Santa Clara
County in this district.  Gilroy is in AD 28 along with Salinas.
Current AD 27 office holder, Bill Monning is running for SD 17 in 2012.
Current AD 28 office Holder, ex-Watsonville mayor Luis Alejo, is running
for the new AD 30 seat.

Morgan Hill and Gilroy are both in the new AD 30.  That district also
includes most of Wastonville, Much of Salinas, San Benito County and a
large section of the Salinas Valley in S. Monterey County (King City)
etc.  Hollister resident, Bob Bernosky, announced last week that he will
run against Alejo in a repeat of the 2010 AD 28 race where Alejo won 61%
to 39%.

*Congressional District*: Morgan Hill is currently in CD 11, where Jerry
McNerney (D) is the officeholder.  That is the new District 9 where
McNerney has 4 Repubican challengers, one (Ricky Gill) has serious
money... more that McNerney.  Gilroy is curretly in District 15
represented by Mike Honda (D).

In the new 2012 districts, Morgan Hill is in Zoe Lofgren's District 19.
It is obvious that MH is the tail on San Jose's dog.  Gilroy is mostly
in District 20... some of N. Gilroy is in CD 19.  Current Officeholder
is Sam Farr (D-70 yrs) and he is running for re-election.  This would be
his 11th term.  The 20th CD is mostly a Central Coast district and
Salinas is the biggest population center.

Net:  I don't see that S. County will have a big effect on any of these
elections unless there is someone from one of the major population
centers in each district to support.