[GPSCC-chat] Fw: Re: propositions - & wiki.cagreens.org

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Tue Nov 6 13:34:12 PST 2012

PROPOSITION 35

       Regarding Prop 35, human trafficking, I personally agree with
Drew:  My wife and I both voted "No".

       However, the California and Santa Clara Green organizations both
took "no position".  The state organization had an extended discussion
on that issue that, I believe, continued far too long. I could have
misinterpreted the discussion, but it seemed like at least one
individual passionate supported it while another opposed with equal
passion -- and neither seemed to carefully consider the arguments put
forward by the other.

             * Supporters of Prop 35 say that human trafficking is evil
and current laws are not adequate.

             * Opponents agree that human trafficking is evil. However,
they assert that Prop 35 essentially tries to address the problem by
increasing the penalties in ways that could be miscarried to punish
excessively people not involved in human trafficking.  It also fails to
cite relevant research into the reasons the problem persists in spite of
current laws.  In the latter category, Prop 35 fails to make adequate
provisions for training a variety of people in different professions who
could do things to improve reporting and prosecutions under current law.

       A summary of this discussion is available at
"www.cagreens.org/elections/propositions/35
<http://www.cagreens.org/elections/propositions/35>".

OPENING WIKI.CAGREENS.ORG TO MORE PARTICIPANTS?

       I believe the statewide Green discussion on Prop 35 (and
virtually any other issue of interest) could have been better managed by
opening "wiki.cagreens.org
<http://wiki.cagreens.org/index.php/Main_Page>" to many more
participants.  Doing so, I believe, would likely have produced better
summaries of the arguments on all sides of the issues involved, with
fewer problems with people repeating their arguments seemingly without
seriously trying to understand other positions.

       A more open Wiki could also help attract more people to the Green
party, just as Wikipedia's success is built on its willingness to permit
anyone to edit almost anything.

       Moreover, material organized on "wiki.cagreens.org
<http://wiki.cagreens.org/index.php/Main_Page>" could in many cases be
ported easily to Wikipedia;  if Green concerns were more appropriately
reflected there, I think we could have a bigger impact on the body
politic.  For example, the Wikipedia article on SOPA (the Stop On-line
Piracy Act) got a million views between Thanksgiving and Christmas last
year.

       When I first raised this question a couple of years ago, I was
told that having it open made it too subject to vandalism and posting of
material contrary to Green values -- and the California Greens did not
have enough administrators.  I think we could control that by requiring
everyone to create an account before they can edit anything -- apart
from the Talk pages associated with existing articles.  If needed, we
could require everyone to get someone already in the system to vouch for
each new person before they are allowed to edit anything other than a
Talk page. This should be enough, because the sources of any vandalism
and anti-Green messaging could be easily identified, and appropriate
action could be taken with the perpetrators.

       I'd be happy to volunteer to organize periodic (monthly?)
Webinars / videoconferences on what we might want to do in this vein and
how to do such.  I'm a Wikipedian with well over 500 edits, in addition
to being an engineer and a statistician who has used computers not quite
daily for almost 40 years.  I'm not a professional software developer,
web designer, nor sys admin, though I've done a little of all three.

       Comments?
       Best Wishes,
       Spencer

On 11/6/2012 10:06 AM, Drew wrote: