[GPSCC-chat] Stein - Honkala Statement on Ending Poverty

perrysandy at aol.com perrysandy at aol.com
Tue Nov 6 21:21:58 PST 2012

http://www.jillstein.org/an_end_to_poverty

Anend to poverty: Statement of support for Stein/Honkala 2012
POSTED BY JILL STEIN FORPRESIDENT 2683.80PC ON NOVEMBER 04, 2012 · FLAG
                             The Green Partypresidential campaign of Jill Stein and Cheri Honkala has a plan for the total,direct, and rapid abolition of poverty. The selection of Cheri Honkala as VicePresidential candidate is itself a clear sign of this commitment. Ms. Honkalais a formerly homeless mother and lifelong leader in the movement againstpoverty, unemployment, and homelessness.

Today it is a sign of truly astonishing economic failure that the famous 1937words of Franklin Roosevelt are ringing true once again in this wealthycountry:
“In this nationI see tens of millions of its citizens—a substantial part of its wholepopulation—who at this very moment are denied the greater part of what the verylowest standards of today call the necessities of life. I see millions offamilies trying to live on incomes so meager that the pall of family disasterhangs over them day by day. I see millions whose daily lives in city and onfarm continue under conditions labeled indecent by a so-called polite societyhalf a century ago. I see millions denied education, recreation, and theopportunity to better their lot and the lot of their children. I see millionslacking the means to buy the products of farm and factory and by their povertydenying work and productiveness to many other millions. I see one-third of anation ill-housed, ill-clad, ill-nourished…”

If it has accomplished nothing else up to now, the 2012 election campaign hasproven that America’s two establishment parties are hopelessly paralyzed whenit comes to addressing these life-and-death realities the American people facetoday. Instead, Democrats and Republicans cover their moral and politicalbankruptcy by refusing to even admit that there is a problem. Not a single timehave either of the establishment candidates even mentioned the word “poverty”or “homelessness” in any of their campaign appearances.

Desperate times require desperate measures. The hour has come to break with thedying two-party system and begin building the new political parties that overhalf of Americans now say are needed. The Green Party presidential campaign ofJill Stein and Cheri Honkala is the best opportunity we have today to make thatmove.

Jill Stein and Cheri Honkala are running on a platform called the Green NewDeal, which is a comprehensive program to address America’s economic,environmental, financial, and political crises (see http://www.jillstein.org/green_new_deal). The GreenNew Deal calls for an Economic Bill of Rights similar to those proposed byRoosevelt and Martin Luther King, Jr.

It calls for the immediate creation of 25 million new jobs, mainly in projectsto meet human needs – housing, health care, education, and transportation – andto protect and restore our environment. It calls for an immediate halt toevictions and foreclosures, and a federal bank to restructure the housingmarket and make it affordable for everyone. The Green New Deal will alsorebuild our entire economy around green technologies and sustainable practices;thoroughly reform the financial sector, abolish student debt, end bailouts, andreorganize failed banks as public financial institutions; and restore ourdemocracy and the full democratic rights of our people.

It is time to end the destruction, the austerity, and the needless suffering. Amoral government would honor the sacredness of human life by ensuring jobs,housing, health care, and education for every family. Martin Luther King oncesaid America has the resources and the technology to end poverty; the onlyquestion is whether we have the will. It is up to us to start creating thatwill by taking decisive action right now. We support Jill Stein and CheriHonkala for President and Vice President of the United States of America.

In solidarity,
·        Marian Kramer & Maureen Taylor
·        Reverend Edward Pinkney & Dorothy Pinkney - BlackAutonomy Network Community Organization
·        Dave Marsh - American music critic, author, host of Livefrom E Street Nation, Kick Out the Jams, and Live From the Landof Hopes and Dreams
·        Pastor Scott Wagers - CHAM Deliverance Ministry
·        Lynette Malles - Occupy Homes Minnesota & MinnesotaPoor People's Economic Human Rights Campaign
·        Marin Peplinski - Retired Principal - Loring NicolettAlternative School
·        Mary Bricker-Jenkins - USA-Canada Alliance of Inhabitants& Former Co-chair of the Assembly to End Poverty
·        Monica Beemer - Sisters of the Road
·        Michelle & Rick Tingling-Clemmons - MIRICO Unlimited
·        John Eskow - Screenwriter (Pink Cadillac &others)
·        Eric Sheptock - Chair, Shelter Housing and RespectfulChange
·        Mark Webber - Actor, Writer, Director
·        Lee Ballinger - West Coast Editor - Rock & RapConfidential
·        Mike Malinin - musician (Goo Goo Dolls)
·        Jennifer Jewell - Director of Women in Transition
·        Sister Margaret McKenna - New Jerusalem Laura
·        Galen Tyler - Kensington Welfare Rights Union
·        Glen Davis and Tara Colon - Poor People's Economic HumanRights Campaign
·        George Friday - Move to Amend
·        Dorothy (Dottie) Stevens - Massachusetts Welfare Rights
·        Mark Dunlea - Executive Director - Hunger Action NetworkNew York State
·        Bob Flanagan - Worcester Homeless Action Committee
·        Ms. Fran - fighting foreclosure
·        Reverend Bruce Wright - Refuge Ministries
·        Rev. Dennis Segall - Coalition for the Reform of YouthServices
·        Jeremy Alderson - Founder, the Homeless Marathon
·        Paul Boden - Organizing Director, Western Regional AdvocacyProject
·        Sister Adrienne Lawton, Associate Pastor, CHAMDeliverance Ministry
·        Gloria M. Sandoval, President, CA Central Valley Journeyfor Justice
·        Maren McDonell, Minneapolis, MN
·        Ismaeel Alkhaleefa
·        Sylvia Orduño
*Unless listedseparately, organizational affiliations are for identification purposes only.

Additional signatures are being gathered now – more to come.
If you or your organization are interested in signing on, contact Alex Howardat alexhoward74 at gmail.com