[GPSCC-chat] SJ Pride Proposal to participate, Aug 17-18

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Sun Aug 4 18:53:55 PDT 2013

Hello, All:

       1.  Can either Drew or John negotiate a reduced price for this?
For example, if we could table only 1 day, not 2, for $50, that would be
more compatible with our resources -- both financial and human:  Betsy
and I could provide a standard card table and up to 4 folding chairs to
go with the Green Party canopy in our garage.  I'm willing to drop that
off, help set it up, then come and take it down.  However, I'm not eager
to do that twice, and I'd want some assurance that it wouldn't walk off
overnight.  I don't know if we have others who can transport much more
than their own bodies.

       2.  Why are the organizers for this event asking so much money
for a table?  Is this to support a six figure salary for the primary
organizers?

       3.  If my memory is correct, there has been no charge for many of
the events we've tabled at in the past.  When there was a charge, it was
typically $50 or less.  When it was over $50, we often declined to table.

       4.  I accept Drew's argument that this could be a better audience
for us than many other events.  However, I'm not sure it's 7 times
better than events that charged $60 for which we declined to participate.

       5.  If Drew and John can negotiate a price like $150, the County
Council will support that (with John's $100 pledge) -- provided we don't
have to worry about our schwag and any table and canopy we provide
disappearing overnight.

       6.  I very much appreciate the energy John and Drew have
expressed for this event.  I hope that whatever we do, they will six
months from now view it a reasonable use of our limited resources.

       Comments?
       Best Wishes,
       Spencer

--