[GPSCC-chat] DON'T BREAK OUR HEART - VALENTINE'S DAY SPEAK OUT IN SAN JOSE FEB 14 AT 12 NOON

perrysandy at aol.com perrysandy at aol.com
Wed Feb 6 22:42:20 PST 2013

DON’T BREAK OUR HEART –
SAVE OURHOMES!

Valentine’s Day Speak Out
Tell Congress to “Have aHeart, No More Cuts, Save Our Homes”!

Time: 12 Noon ThursdayFebruary 14
Place: Low-IncomeSelf-Help Center, 525 W. Alma Ave, San Jose

This Valentine’s Day, tenants, homelesspeople, seniors, people with disabilities, and families will gather to shoutout against further cuts to housing and other safety net programs we depend onto survive.
We are part of a national mobilizationby the National Alliance of HUD Tenants (NAHT) all across the country.

Congress is right now getting ready toimplement a so-called “sequestration” cut of 5.1% to the HUD housing budget onMarch 1. This would make even more hundreds of thousands of our brothers andsisters homeless, if we do not take action to stop it.

Santa Clara County already experiences a desperate shortage of affordable housing.Thousands are forced to live outside in tents and boxes, where they faceunnecessary suffering and even death in this winter flu season weather. Americaand Silicon Valley obviously have more than sufficient abundance to provide forpeople’s basic human necessities. The only question is whether we have themoral clarity and spiritual courage to say this is wrong and demand that ourrepresentatives take action to house our people.

·        No morecuts to housing, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and other basicnecessities!
·         Invest injobs to rebuild the economy!
·        Raiserevenues by closing tax loopholes! Make corporations pay their fair share!
·        Reducemilitary spending and redirect savings to domestic needs!

Sponsored by Affordable Housing Network,Low-Income Self-Help Center, Silicon Valley Independent Living Center, andendorsed by Sacred Heart Community Service. For more details or for reasonableaccommodation, call Sandy Perry at 408-691-6153 or Katherine Bock at408-599-4590. 525 W. Alma Ave. is one-half block west on Alma from TamienStation, accessible by light rail or by bus 25, 82, or 67.